105mm lens- difference between these? need advice!

What is the difference between those 2 lenses??? I am going to buy a Macro lens soon, but I've never heard of the 2.0 one.. not sure why though as I am very knowlelgable in camera stuff, lenses, etc. Anyone have both? or which one is better or are they the same?? I am sort of confused, because the first lens, the 2.0 lens- says it's a portrait lens. Well, I am wanting both, a medium telelphoto lens & a 1.1 Macro lens- & I am leaning towards the second lens, but I just don't know.. & need some advice. Is the quality the same? Obviously- the f/stop is different, but idk if DC is the same as AF? excuse my ignorance.. :/

Amazon.com : Nikon 105mm f/2.0D AF DC-Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens : Camera Lenses : Electronics

Last edited:

WayneF

Regardless of where you plan to buy, you ought to check the descriptions at the B&H site, because they try to explain what the product is, and at Amazon, they never know enough to say much, so you better already know.

The macro lens can provide 1:1 life size images (image same size on the sensor as it is in real life). This requires a close focus distance (of one foot in this case, measured to focal plane mark near the rear of the camera, where the sensor or film is).
It is a macro lens.

The DC lens is like a more normal lens, closest focus is only to 3 feet, for a 0.13x magnification (closest image on the senor is 1/8 the size of real life),

The big deal about DC is defocus control. I am not familiar with it, but apparently it emphasizes brokeh, additional control to defocus backgrounds.

Nikon Telephoto AF DC Nikkor 105mm f/2.0D Lens 1932 B&H Photo

Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens 2160 B&H

harleridr

Hi For the money I like my sigma 105 2.8 , it has if and vr. a couple of places have them on sale for about $650.00. Here is another site that has some good info on Nikon lenses, and it is always being updated:
Photography in Malaysia
Harle

Horoscope Fish

"Defocus Control", I think, is an awkward translation for "Bokeh Control"... Because what the the DC lens variant has is the very powerful bokeh control. It's a bit of a niche lens, most suited to portrait-type-photography, but it does what it does very well and is a lot of fun to use.

If money were no object, I'd have one in a heartbeat.