Can not edit NEF files in ViewNX2 or Lightroom

david705

Hi everyone I am sure this has already come up be I am a newbe to the site and didn't find the answer. I just bought the D610 and I uploaded my first photos. First I had to fine a new codec to work to view in windows and then find out that Photoshop at this time does not support 610 raw files. I have tried to edit in View NX2 and the edit tools do not work in Raw but work fine in JPEG. How do I fix this, I already did updates. Also Raw files are not working in Lightroom after I updated to version 5.4

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You could try adobe raw converter and convert your raw files to DNG. It's a batch process that is not too long. Then Lightroom will open them easily. Or upgrade Lightroom and PS... ViewNX should able you to do basic edits. There is also a newer free(for now) Capture version Capture NX-D that can be tried for free until september or so.

It's the magic of digital proprietary format at work...

The other solution is if you have an exif tool. You could change the exif info of all your files to be D 600 instead of 610 and the files would open like magic.

Best of luck about your decision.

Oh, and welcome to Nikonites. I hope you will stick around a bit and are not one of these "I'll just pop in to get my question answered". :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
You could try adobe raw converter and convert your raw files to DNG. It's a batch process that is not too long. Then Lightroom will open them easily. :)

I do this myself as I find the DNG files are a little smaller and thus a little faster to edit. Just now I tried to open a NEF image in LR5. It was the only photo I imported, and I will say it took a little time for the import. LR did import it after about a minute, and from there I could do whatever editing I wanted. I also tried to open it in Photoshop (I have Photoshop CC), and it too opened the NEF image without any problem.

What operating system are you using? Windows? If it is an older version, it is possible you don't have enough memory to perform the tasks. I am using a Windows 7 computer, but my Vista computer won't operate LR5. For that computer I still have LR4 installed on it.

Fred Kingston

David... I'm afraid you have something fundamentally wrong because all 3 of those programs have been updated to see the D610 NEF with no problems...

480sparky

If you installed ViewNX from the CD that was included with the camera, it may be an older version that did not work with D610 files. All you need to do is update it at Nikons' website.

aroy

Latest Nikon software reads all Nikon files (else they would not sell!). Do the following
. Check whether you have 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows. That will determine which version to download and install.
. Go to Nikon site and download the latest View NX-2 https://support.nikonusa.com/app/an...2LzEvdGltZS8xNDAyMTIwMDcwL3NpZC9UTlN4RWJXbA== - choose you OS and download

. Uninstall any older copy of View NX
. Install the downloaded View NX-2
. Start the program.
. Connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable supplied.
. View NX-2 should recognise the camera, and you should be able to copy the images from camera to your computer.

kwpcolorado

I'm having the same issue. I have LR4 currently, is it worth it to upgrade to version 5? Just got the 610 yesterday and I've got a wedding reception I'm off to shoot in an hour and sometime overnight, a birth.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm having the same issue. I have LR4 currently, is it worth it to upgrade to version 5? Just got the 610 yesterday and I've got a wedding reception I'm off to shoot in an hour and sometime overnight, a birth.

If you convert your files from NEF to DNG, LR4 will import them without any problem. Or you can edit the camera model in the properties of each image (that can take a lot of time if you have many images). Change the camera model from D610 to D600, and LR4 will open them as NEF's.