Simple question.

Blacktop

If I get a 35mm AF-S 1.8G lens, will I miss my 50mm 1.8D AF lens?:confused:

The only thing I really use the 50mm is for some flower shots, and some indoor stuff chasing Daisy The Rottweiler around with.

I can't keep both, so don't suggest it.

Eyelight

The only thing I can offer is that you can pluck a 50mm picture from the middle of a 35mm picture, but you can't pluck a 35 from the middle of a 50.

BackdoorArts

If your list of lenses in your signature is complete then I would be inclined to say, "Go for the 35mm". It gives you something you don't have, a wide angle (which isn't really "wide" on a DX), and you've got nearly the same perspective on your 55-200mm zoom.

Bill16

I believe the 50mm maybe slightly sharper, but I think the 35mm is more versatile and nearly as sharp. A good flash is a great thing to add to your gear, and it will bring more out of your shots with either lens!
For a flash, I'd recommend a sb-700, sb-800, or a sb-910! I have a sb-800 that works awesome myself! :)

Blacktop

I believe the 50mm maybe slightly sharper, but I think the 35mm is more versatile and nearly as sharp. A good flash is a great thing to add to your gear, and it will bring more out of your shots with either lens!
For a flash, I'd recommend a sb-700, sb-800, or a sb-910! I have a sb-800 that works awesome myself! :)

Dude! I'm not EVEN going to get into flash photography yet. That is a whole other world of headaches I just don't need right now.:dejection:

Blacktop

If your list of lenses in your signature is complete then I would be inclined to say, "Go for the 35mm". It gives you something you don't have, a wide angle (which isn't really "wide" on a DX), and you've got nearly the same perspective on your 55-200mm zoom.

I have a friend whose name I won't mention (it rhymes with Will Schmisteen) who is sending me his 18-55 kit lens that he doesn't like so I can have my beloved 18-55 back which I sold with my D3100. Thanks Will Schmisteen!

In return I'm going to send Will Schmisteen (or is it Bill16? I forget now) my 50mm 1.8D lens that he is lusting after.
So that is why I'm thinking of the 35MM, since I've heard so many good things about it.

Blacktop

I went to the 35mm 2 months ago, and I rarely use the 18-55 or the 55-200.
No regrets.

You probably weren't using your 55-200 that much to begin with then. Thanks, from what I've been reading online about the 35 I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get that one.
Probably going to get it new, since it seems that the used prices are only a few dollars less anyway.

SteveL54

You probably weren't using your 55-200 that much to begin with then. Thanks, from what I've been reading online about the 35 I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get that one.
Probably going to get it new, since it seems that the used prices are only a few dollars less anyway.

I actually used it quite a bit at first, but there's only so much you can do in that range. It still goes on when I need to reach 200.
And as much as some people aren't thrilled with the 18-55 kit lens, I still enjoy that one.

But that 35mm just does the job. And it does it well. I agree with new. Mine was $196 from B&H, and I'm so close, it arrived the next day.

aroy

I use 35mm F1.8 for low light or when I need it wide open. Same is the case with my 50mm F1.8 AF. Rest of the time when the need is for good DOF and I will be shooting at F4+, it is the 18-55. It is light, sharp and the best part is that it focuses the closest - a part time macro for me.

STM

If you plan to do any portraiture, than I would stick with the 50mm. 35mm, although equivalent roughly to a 50mm on DX, will add perspective distortion to the image and make it somewhat unflattering. Again, it all depends on what kind of photography you plan to do.