The 16-35 vr lens on the D610

norman mc

Hello all. Back again for some advice. Simply, would the 35 end of the lens be good for portraits, I like to photograph the four grandchildren.Thanks.

BackdoorArts

35mm is a little wide for normal portraiture even on DX cameras. With kids the distortion is often even more evident. Maybe not for a group shot - maybe. But for typical portraits you'll want at least 50mm and are likely better off with 85-105mm.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think 35 would be too wide for portraits unless you have to do a group shot in a very tight environment. On the 610, the 24-85 lens would be a better choice for portraits, or the 24-120.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you are looking to do individual portraits, usually 85mm-105mm is a really good length to use. If you are looking to do group shots, then you will want something a little wider. However, if you go too wide, you may start to see some perspective distortion especially if the grandkids are close to the edges of the frame or if they are too close to the camera.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hello all. Back again for some advice. Simply, would the 35 end of the lens be good for portraits, I like to photograph the four grandchildren.Thanks.

35mm with that lens have very little to no distortion and is acceptable for group shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk