Driving Me Crazy

zutty

In learning to use my new D7100 I've come across an issue I really hope someone can help with.
In live view I cannot make the preview work. Say I'm in Aperture priority mode and I step the Ap. from say..1.8 to 16...the manual says to push the OK button and you get a preview in live mode...Well that doesn't happen but after I take the shot the live preview gets real dark (as it should..in my test) but then I put the Ap. back to 1.8 and the live preview stays dark unless I turn the live mode off and on again. This is only in preview, the actual photos are fine. This is with a 50mm Nikon 1.8D lens. Is this normal or am I missing something. It would be nice to have the live preview follow the aperture if possible..like in non-live view when you push the preview button. I hope I've explained my self correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

nickt

I don't think you can do anything about it. As I understand it, it is a mechanical limitation. The aperture can only move when the mirror moves, so the mirror needs to cycle before the aperture updates.
I did a quick google and stumbled on Cory (who used to come around here) explaining this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ord_owGw65c
I guess the d800 has a separate motor so it can update the aperture instantly instead of waiting for the shot cycle.

zutty

I don't know weather to be relieved or pissed. I was worried it was just my camera but now I am a little disappointed at Nikon leaving the motor out that enables this pretty important feature. Thankfully I do have a D800 that doesn't have this issue but it just seems a little weird that a $1000+ camera doesn't have what a $250 Canon does. The D7100 is still a great camera and I will use it frequently. I appreciate you clearing this up for me! Thanks.

Last edited:

pedroj

I don't know weather to be relieved or pissed. I was worried it was just my camera but now I am a little disappointed at Nikon leaving the motor out that enables this pretty important feature. Thankfully I do have a D800 that doesn't have this issue but it just seems a little weird that a $1000+ camera doesn't have what a $250 Canon does. The D7100 is still a great camera and I will use it frequently. I appreciate you clearing this up for me! Thanks.

------------------------

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

This is a fairly well documented limitation of all the consumer grade DSLR's. My D800 is the only camera I've had that reacts immediately in Live View - my D600 and D7000 don't. You can always go out and come back in if you need to check the change immediately.