New Lens & Body

zutty

I just received my 24-70 2.8 & D7100 today so I took them out and did a test shoot to make sure they were working properly. Only 1 problem: Although they look pretty sharp to me, I have absolutely no experience with which to gauge the results. I was hoping some of you might take a look and just tell me if the lens looks sharp enough. I know it's a DX body, but I'm hoping y'all might just relieve neurotic me that I didn't get a dud...Thanks!
BTW..I posted these same pictures and asked the same questions on a different part of the forum and a guy (pedroj) posted "Not great subjects to gauge any thing by..." I have no idea what that meant. Maybe this is a more appropriate location to pose the question.

Attachments

• 7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD7b.jpg
    7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD7b.jpg
    954.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD6b.jpg
    7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD6b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71

crycocyon

Well the image size is a bit hard to tell, but based on my experience I would say the quality looks outstanding. Did you apply any post-processing to these images? The second one almost looks HDR-like.

pedroj

Same result buddy the images are to cluttered to determine if they are sharp...

You dont tell us what focal length and aperture you selected

What's the problem...You didn't get the accolades you expected...I tell it how I see it...

aroy

To gauge the sharpness, a 100% crop would help.
. Crop around the leaves (second image top)
. Crop around the point of focus

zutty

"Same result buddy the images are to cluttered to determine if they are sharp...

You dont tell us what focal length and aperture you selected

What's the problem...You didn't get the accolades you expected...I tell it how I see it..."

Not about accolades my friend, it's about common courtesy and making a rude comment without explaining the reason for it. To give a criticism without explaining it is just rude and arrogant. Being new to photography I appreciate all helpful comments and criticisms, but doing so without reason is just arrogant.
I too, tell it like I see it. Shall we move on now?

aroy

What software are you using to down size the images. The exif is not showing. For cropping and down sizing you can use the supplied Nikon View NX-2, as that preserves the exif while exporting to jpeg.

zutty

What software are you using to down size the images. The exif is not showing. For cropping and down sizing you can use the supplied Nikon View NX-2, as that preserves the exif while exporting to jpeg.
I just used a simple program called "Downsize" to transfer and reduce in size the original RAW file to jpg. It also frames and watermarks it. Is that the wrong way to do it? I'm just learning Lightroom and it probably would be better using that? As far as the Nikon software, could that keep it as a RAW file or is it mandatory to use jpg?

Last edited:

aroy

I just used a simple program called "Downsize" to transfer and reduce in size the original RAW file to jpg. It also frames and watermarks it. Is that the wrong way to do it? I'm just learning Lightroom and it probably would be better using that? As far as the Nikon software, could that keep it as a RAW file or is it mandatory to use jpg?
No it is not the wrong way. You use what works. It is just that the exif is not there.

In View NX you are exporting the RAW to jpeg and not over writing the RAW. Similarly in Capture NX-D the edits are kept in a separate file. The original RAW file remains.

snaphappy

I think pedroj means that a landscape is difficult to judge sharpness of a lens because there is no obvious subject. A photo where the subject is obvious and fills the frame would be better to judge sharpness. A portrait, a bug on a leaf, bird or other creature up close, automobile etc etc. Also anytime you ask for help or critique anywhere on the forum it is always best to give all exif info (shutter, aperture, iso) so you can get better advice and feedback. Congrats on your new camera and lens :)

zutty

I think pedroj means that a landscape is difficult to judge sharpness of a lens because there is no obvious subject. A photo where the subject is obvious and fills the frame would be better to judge sharpness. A portrait, a bug on a leaf, bird or other creature up close, automobile etc etc. Also anytime you ask for help or critique anywhere on the forum it is always best to give all exif info (shutter, aperture, iso) so you can get better advice and feedback. Congrats on your new camera and lens :)
Thanks snap. I didn't realize that the exif info wasn't on my copies. I have all my original RAW files and I'll be using a conversion program that will retain that, as I do realize the importance of it. Also I will try and use a better topic with which to test a new lens. I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my new equipment, but I get nervous about such things and just want to be sure.