Zoom Zoom or Long

zutty

I'm thinking of popping for one more lens. I'm all set in the wide angle area. My only long lens is a 70-300vr that is really nice, but I'm wondering if a 70-200 2.8 would be smart or stupid to consider. It would complete the trinity as I have the other two. But the price tag is really out of reach for now unless I find an incredible deal on a used or refurb. Any other opinion re. a long lens or a zoom to complete my gear would be appreciated.

zutty

No, Not really except the 300 length might be a little soft. Being a rookie it's hard for me to tell. I will not drop the 2k+ for that 70-200 (I paid that much for my 1988 Camry...grin). But I was wondering if there was a viable option for something that might compliment what I already have.

480sparky

You'll be hard-pressed to find something in the 300mm range for the same price point as your 70-300... unless you go to an older lens such as a 300mm AI. Manual focus, no VR.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

No, Not really except the 300 length might be a little soft. Being a rookie it's hard for me to tell. I will not drop the 2k+ for that 70-200 (I paid that much for my 1988 Camry...grin). But I was wondering if there was a viable option for something that might compliment what I already have.

The 70-200 VR II is a great lens. I love mine....even though it doesn't have the reach I would really like. The pictures are very sharp with it and it produces very nice bokeh!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

As Pedroj mentioned, you might want to look at the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S. The 300mm end of the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 is soft so you could use it instead of the very end of your tele zoom. No need to spend the money for a 70-200mm f/2.8 unless you really have the need for it.

Nikon Telephoto AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Autofocus Lens 1909

aroy

Even I would advise getting the 300mm prime rather than a zoom. Most zooms are soft at the long end. The 300mm F4 is sharp wide open and coupled with TC-14E gives excellent IQ at 420mm.

Fordman

I'm thinking of popping for one more lens. I'm all set in the wide angle area. My only long lens is a 70-300vr that is really nice, but I'm wondering if a 70-200 2.8 would be smart or stupid to consider. It would complete the trinity as I have the other two. But the price tag is really out of reach for now unless I find an incredible deal on a used or refurb. Any other opinion re. a long lens or a zoom to complete my gear would be appreciated.
I am currently selling my 70-200mm 1:2.8 if you're interested. 1150 US dollars.

ryanwphoto

I have the Sigma 150-500 and it's good enough. I get some reasonable shots from it. Paid $500 used in very good condition from my photography friend and neighbor.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk