Infinity Focusing...

Tom Grove

The 2 lenses I use until I can afford better ones are my kit lenses (18-55 VR & 55-200 VR) but they do not have manual focus rings. How can I set the camera up for infinity focus so I can take city lights photos from a hilltop at night?

Pretzel

Actually, the 18-55 does have a manual focus, but you have to manually flip the switch from A to M first (since it doesn't have instant override) and focus using the very end of the lens (where the "teeth" are). Having said that, it's a very hard and fast adjustment, as just a tiny touch does a lot with this lens. It doesn't have a scale on the lens, so no way to get it close to infinity and then eyeball from there. Just lock in with a good eye and nudge until you hit the focus you want.

The 55-200 is almost the same as well, although not right on the end like the 18-55. Be careful not to grab 'em when in auto focus mode, though, as I believe both physically turn even with AF.

Pretzel

I learned how to auto focus the 18-55 on the D3100, and it was a bit tough in the viewfinder, so tried to tweak it as much as possible with live view. The D7000 viewfinder should be a bit easier. Plus, your eyes will probably be a little better than mine. ;) Either way, with the twitchy manual focus, it was a bit of a challenge, but it is possible.

I have since fallen in love with the instant override manual focus on my 50mm 1.8G and 70-300 VR.

WayneF

In Live View, you can zoom way in on the viewfinder (and scroll around as necessary), which will make manual focus on distant city lights very easy.
D7000 manual page 55.

WayneF

Turn the focus ring towards it's max distance, until it stops.

That won't be very accurate. Not designed that way. Turn your lens until it stops, and then look at the focused distance scale. It won't be at infinity. Hard to beat actually focusing it.

DraganDL

Well, that's how I did it (with some manual focus lenses, without an infinity mark and/or distance scale). However, it's true that some lenses can "go" a bit beyond the infinity, but the small aperture values (high numbers) should be keeping the infinity within the DoF.

Last edited:

WayneF

Well, that's how I did it (with some manual focus lenses, without an infinity mark and/or distance scale). However, it's true that some lenses can "go" a bit beyond the infinity, but the small aperture values (high numbers) should be keeping the infinity within the DoF.

Well, it doesn't work for stars, we get blobs instead. Here are some links about it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=focus+on+stars+infinity

Zooming the live view screen works well. You can't even see any stars until you do zoom it.

Where do I find the focused distance scale?

It is the distance scale on the lens barrel. Often in a little window on the lens. The mark for infinity is a horizontal figure 8.

Last edited:

Pretzel

The 18-55 VR doesn't have this scale. Not sure about the 55-200, but I don't think it does either. That's what makes finding "infinity" a bit more challenging.

WayneF

The 18-55 VR doesn't have this scale. Not sure about the 55-200, but I don't think it does either. That's what makes finding "infinity" a bit more challenging.

Sorry, I did not realize. You're right of course, about the 55-200 too. Here are pictures of them:
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR from Nikon
AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED from Nikon

They are called G lenses, which have no aperture scale, but these have no distance scale either.

A little more price should have the distance scale. Here is a picture of one with it:
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II from Nikon

All my lenses have the distance scale on them. I didn't realize some did not.

snaphappy

At night I choose something far away (moon or light far away) and then turn off AF, turn on live view and then zoom in on live view and turn focus on lens until you have a good focus then be very careful not to bump it. The G lenses do not make focusing night time shoots easy :) Also if doing low lights shots remember to use tripod and turn off VR. Happy shooting

Tom Grove

Ok... I got home last night and saw what you guys already knew... there's no distance scale... so no problem... I waited for it to get dark and I went outside to try the focusing manually... I was able to get a crisp focus, but when I snapped a few pictures (it was an apartment that I focused on about 2 blocks down the street), it came out very dark and only 2 lights were visible out of at least 5... In "M" mode, I had my aperture all the way down to 4 or 4.5... my shutter speed was at 250 and my iso was at 100... what do I need to change here?

snaphappy

Your shutter speed. Depends on how dark it is and how much foreground you want to see. I don't have any street lights around here so when do stars I start at about 5 sec and if no moon etc end up at 30secs or using bulb. For night time you need a tripod unless you are just shooting the moon. You may want to adjust your ISO as well. Glad you got the focusing figured out :)

There is a Low light forum here under learning photography and you will find lots of great info in the threads

SteveL54

Correct. Challenging but possible. I have both lenses, and focusing at the night can be a real pain.. I usually go to infinity, then backup justthismuch. These lenses are somewhat picky at the far end of their range. If time permits, I'll even pull the card, and plug it into the laptop to see where I am. But the more you use them, and understand their quirks, it's easier it is to dial in where you can be very close. I'm having much better luck with my 35mm 1.8.

Pretzel

Correct. Challenging but possible. I have both lenses, and focusing at the night can be a real pain.. I usually go to infinity, then backup justthismuch. These lenses are somewhat picky at the far end of their range. If time permits, I'll even pull the card, and plug it into the laptop to see where I am. But the more you use them, and understand their quirks, it's easier it is to dial in where you can be very close. I'm having much better luck with my 35mm 1.8.

Agreed. I got used to the 18-55 after forcing myself to dial it in quite a few times, so it's possible. MUCH easier, though, on my 50mm 1.8G and 70-300 VR. With both of those, though, it's let AF do it's job, then just a tiny touch to fine tune in an instant. LOVE LOVE LOVE the instant override!