tethering to an ipad !?!?

omegabri

Hi guys...

I was going to get a small laptop to take out to location, as a tethered back-up to portrait shots etc..., but now I'm thinking Apple ipad 2 !?!?

Does anyone know anything, or had any experience with tethering a Nikon to an Apple ipad?

cheers all

Brian :)

Curt

Well I have not tried to as of yet, but my wife has a ipad and she just loves it. I bought it for her for Xmas and she has not put it down since then...lol. Tons of apps. for it and so nice to carry with you, I do think its a better idea then a laptop...my 2 cents :).

iiSKipper

I have the Ipad and a D90.
The only thing I have done with both is use the camera kit to upload my photos to the Ipad.
It's quick and easy to do. Approx $40 for the kit.

MC531

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Apple Store (Australia)

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Bautsch

I was told by the people at the Apple store that the photos that are downloaded by the iPad are low res only (small jpeg?). Good for emails and internet use but not for much more. I didn't look beyond what I was told so I don't know for sure if that's correct.

goz63

This may be a stupid question but it says you need to connect the camera to a wifi enabled device. Do you need the camera kit from apple to do that with the iPad. The itunes description is very vague on how to connect. It makes it sound like the camera has a wifi ability which of course the D90 does not have. Have you used this and how did you do it?

iiSKipper

the camera kit comes with a (2) connection one that you can plug your SD card, the other is a connection where it has a USB port
all you do is plug the camera kit to your iPad, connect your camera cable to the USB port or put the SD card in the slot.
the photo app will have another tab where you can import the photos.

whith the usb port you also have the option to have a keyboard connected to the iPad plus other devices.

Ray

goz63

Ah, that makes sense. You then need both the laptop and the iPad/iPhone to make it work. Not sure all that along with a $50 app is worth it. I have all the parts but not the app. $50 seems a little pricey for needing all that hardware to go along with it. I have a number of other apps on the computer, iPad and iPhone that are pretty extensive that didn't cost anywhere near that.
Thanks for the information.

goz63

Farout, I downloaded that program it looks very nice. Specific for the MacBook and Nikon cameras though. Works fine for me since that is what I have. I am currently in the desert for another few weeks but when I get home I am looking forward to using this. Thanks very much for putting me onto it.