D7000 v D5000

naayohmee

Hi there!

I am an amateur-intermediate photographer spending more and more time taking photos, so I'm looking to expand my kit. I currently own a D5000 and I was advised that I would see the greatest increase in image quality by upgrading my camera first.

I've been doing some research and it seems like the D7000 would be a good option for upgrading without completely breaking the bank.

My question is whether I would see a significant enough increase in photo quality with the D7000? Or if I'm spending the money, should I search a bit higher?

Bit of a vague question, but I appreciate any input!

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites! I would suggest if possible to go for the D7100 if you can manage it. From all I've heard it would be a worthwhile upgrade and worth the extra cost if your looking to increase the technical abilities and MPs. :)
I went a different route myself, and went to the D300 since the increase of MPs wasn't a real need for me. I felt that the D300 had a pro build and configuration that I was looking for, and I haven't been disappointed at all! Lol :)
It all depends on what your looking to get out of an upgrade! :)

Last edited:

nickt

The d7000 is a great camera... more readily available controls to quickly change settings on the fly. Front and rear command wheel, top lcd display, internal focus motor, two card slots, etc. It is a more pro-leaning camera as far as the user interface, but I would not think it is amazingly better and it will not automatically give you great images. I'm not saying you should look even higher than the d7000, I am just saying do not give tremendous weight to the advice that a new body will give you a great leap in your images. D7000 is a great camera though, d7100 even nicer if you can swing it. Plenty of amazing images taken with a d5000. Tell us how you feel the d5000 is limiting you. I just don't want you to be disappointed, you may love the d7000 and wonder how you did without it or you may look at the images and wonder why they look no different.

Bill16

Oooh very good call! Your right! A new body upgrade doesn't automatically give you better photos! I'm very glad you posted, since I neglected something that important!:D

The d7000 is a great camera... more readily available controls to quickly change settings on the fly. Front and rear command wheel, top lcd display, internal focus motor, two card slots, etc. It is a more pro-leaning camera as far as the user interface, but I would not think it is amazingly better and it will not automatically give you great images. I'm not saying you should look even higher than the d7000, I am just saying do not give tremendous weight to the advice that a new body will give you a great leap in your images. D7000 is a great camera though, d7100 even nicer if you can swing it. Plenty of amazing images taken with a d5000. Tell us how you feel the d5000 is limiting you. I just don't want you to be disappointed, you may love the d7000 and wonder how you did without it or you may look at the images and wonder why they look no different.

naayohmee

Thanks for all the advice! As far as putting weight on the camera improving images, I definitely understand that it's not the camera that makes great photos. However, I've been using my D5000 for about 5 years now, and since recently taking photo courses at university I would like to step up my game so to speak. My professor mentioned that I could do with a bigger sensor than the D5000 has.

I know it's hard to answer without knowing me, but considering the level of the D5000 do you think it would be better investing in higher quality lenses than a new body?

mikew_RIP

A bigger sensor puts the ball in a different park,you would need to look at the D700 as probably your cheapest option,then what lenses do you have as they may not cover full frame.

nickt

If you are really into this, you may certainly enjoy the shooting experience of a d7000 or d7100. I just wanted to be sure what your expectations were. Some new people come through here thinking that better images automatically come from a better camera. It sounds like you know the deal though.

I think a d7100 will give you more pixels to work with and allow some heavier cropping and better dynamic range. Of course full frame is a big leap and more expense. Take a look through some of the picture threads here and take note of what cameras and lenses are being used. It is not always easy to pick out the 'better' cameras. Conventional advice is always to get better glass, but you will gain some improved image quality with a newer body and a better shooting experience.

I would nudge you to the d7100 over the d7000, you will gain the better shooting experience and see a reasonable improvement in image quality. I think the d5000 is 12mp, d7000 is 16mp and d7100 is 24mp. Of course other things come into play like dynamic range and high iso performance. Sometimes it is just fun to get a new camera and that can be inspiring in itself.

AC016

Thanks for all the advice! As far as putting weight on the camera improving images, I definitely understand that it's not the camera that makes great photos. However, I've been using my D5000 for about 5 years now, and since recently taking photo courses at university I would like to step up my game so to speak. My professor mentioned that I could do with a bigger sensor than the D5000 has.

I know it's hard to answer without knowing me, but considering the level of the D5000 do you think it would be better investing in higher quality lenses than a new body?

A bigger sensor in what regard? More megapixels? Or does he mean going full-frame? If he means full-frame, ask him if he has 3 grand he doesn't want, lol.

Mike D90

A bigger sensor will not improve your photography. A bigger sensor will produce a larger image, and can produce a much better image, but it brings with it a lot more dynamics than a smaller sensor.

Having a larger sensor does not, on its own, produce better quality images.

aroy

It all depends on your finances and what type of photographs you take.

I would not suggest the D7000. It is old technology and barring extra controls and a brighter view finder with more focus points you will not gain much technically. Depending on what sorts of photographs you take, it is
. D7100 if you have a lot of expensive DX lenses and shoot predominantly with telephotos - wild life & birds
. D610 if you are predominantly shooting landscapes and nature. The bigger sensor will give you wider shots with same focal length, and you will have better DR.

Or, if you want only the megapixels and DR, and not bothered about more focus points or dual cards or pro construction,then do what I did, get a D3300.