Thoughts on keeping my D7000...

dragion

I'm uncertain about keeping my 6 months old D7000 since I purchased the Sony A6000 and sold my D3100.
I'm wondering on how much use will I "actually" spend using the D7000.

The main reason why I purchase the Sony A6000 was to lighten my load when I take my family vacation to Walt Disney World...finding out that lighter is better visiting the parks.
After almost a month using the Sony A6000, I find that the Sony A6000 is a more capable camera for what I do...basically photos for fun & family.

I usually shoot in Aperture mode and never in Manual...well maybe dabbled a few times just to see what happens. Mostly a learning experience.

I bought the D7000 factory refurbished and it came with just over 10K clicks, but in new condition.I have collected only a few lenses, so I'm not at a huge loss...some of them I can use manually with the Fotodiox Pro NIK(G) - NEX adapter on then Sony A6000.

My signature lists all my current Nikon gear plus my Sony gear.

So what I'm asking is...should I consider keeping the D7000 or sell it and have someone else enjoy it?

I know that this for me to decide, but just want to know what "you" would do if you were in my shoes?

Any feedback/suggestion will be appreciated.

mikew_RIP

My thinking is photography should be fun,to that end you should try to use gear that puts a smile on your face when you pick it up,you aim is obviously to stay a happy hobbyist (as is mine) a bit more more serious thought then go with your decision.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Your questions are much more of a personal preference.

For example, if your rationale is to sell equipment that you seldom use, then about 80% of my camera equipment applies to that rule but when I asked if I should sell my least used lenses, the majority were not in favor of selling.

Photography is fun and to me, my equipment will be there when i need them. I guess it is similar to firearms. Just because you don't get to shoot them all the time mean that they have to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael J.

I bought the D7000 factory refurbished and it came with just over 10K clicks, but in new condition.I have collected only a few lenses, so I'm not at a huge loss...some of them I can use manually with the Fotodiox Pro NIK(G) - NEX adapter on then Sony A6000.

It seems that you made already your decision.

The main reason why I purchase the Sony A6000 was to lighten my load when I take my family vacation to Walt Disney World...finding out that lighter is better visiting the parks.
After almost a month using the Sony A6000, I find that the Sony A6000 is a more capable camera for what I do...basically photos for fun & family.

And this is the reason why I think that you made your decision. Th eD700 didn't satisfied your needs.

dragion

I actually haven't decided yet regard keeping or selling the D7000.
The question is only a thought within my head at this moment.

The D7000 does meet my needs, but the Sony A6000 just makes it a bit easier, due to the size & weight.
Comparing them both, the D7000 is more like a Maglev bullet train and the Sony A6000 is like a Cessna Citation X jet...both fast, but the A6000 is faster.
They both get you to your destination very quickly and doing in style.

Maybe not the best example, but I think you know what I mean. ;)

Both are very good at what they are, but do I really "need" both?

dragion

Just wondering how long before you will want to off load the sony...

I don't "sell off" many gear...I had the D3100 since it was released and it was my first DSLR until I got the D7000.

I just think that the Sony A6000 is so similar in performance that the D7000 wouldn't get used as much.
I'm only a Hobbyist, so no money is being made from any of my gear...if I was a Pro then that would be a whole different case.

I still think the D7000 is a great camera and glad that I have it.

Englischdude

Hi Dragion,

help me out here, if weight, size, convenience was so important...... why did you sell the D3100? I say keep the D7K for another 6 months to a year (its not going to depreciate all that much during this time), and see how much use it gets. If the next time you pull it out the drawer there is an inch of dust on it, pass it onto someone who will put this fantastic camera to good use. For me it is a real shame to have something like this lying around not being used, just like musical instruments!

aroy

Keeping or selling photographic equipment is a personal choice.

You seem to have collected quite a few lenses, so you must have thought where you will use them when you bought them. If the Sony satisfies your need then it is better to get rid of all that you will not be needing. On the other hand if you ever want to come back to Nikon at a later date, then hang on to the lenses.

One thought. If you want a light load, then get one of those long range zooms say, 18-300 f3.5-f6.3 and leave rest of your lenses at home. The zoom gives you enough range to be the only lense you need while traveling. The rest can be used as and when required.

Camera Fun

If you are absolutely 100% completely positive sure that you won't use it ever again, then maybe selling it would be the best. You could always use the funds to buy other equipment. However, is there any chance that you'll regret selling it once it's gone? The D7000 is a great camera.

crycocyon

Hello to a fellow Bostonian :).

Well, you have a nice collection of lenses for that camera. It seems a shame to just let it go, just because you have a more portable camera that is useful for family outings. But, what about doing some real photography? It seems almost like you got all of those lenses for more than just candid shots of the family on vacation. What about the times when you want to go out on your own, or to take some serious portraits of your family? Or do some scenic photography? Or macro? You have two macro lenses...I'm guessing those were for more than just family photos (unless they are very small, hehe).

So even though the Sony fills a niche, ask yourself what will you be interested in photographically in the future? If you are no longer doing serious photography, then sell the Nikon equipment. But if you see yourself developing your photographic skills and art in the future, then perhaps you might hang onto the equipment, or even try to recall why you bought it in the first place. :)

Tell you what. Next time you go out with the family locally in the Boston area, if you like, I'll come along and be your familiy photographer. Then maybe you will get a flavor for what you can actually achieve with a DSLR.... ;)

Last edited:

dragion

Hello to a fellow Bostonian :).

Well, you have a nice collection of lenses for that camera. It seems a shame to just let it go, just because you have a more portable camera that is useful for family outings. But, what about doing some real photography? It seems almost like you got all of those lenses for more than just candid shots of the family on vacation. What about the times when you want to go out on your own, or to take some serious portraits of your family? Or do some scenic photography? Or macro? You have two macro lenses...I'm guessing those were for more than just family photos (unless they are very small, hehe).

So even though the Sony fills a niche, ask yourself what will you be interested in photographically in the future? If you are no longer doing serious photography, then sell the Nikon equipment. But if you see yourself developing your photographic skills and art in the future, then perhaps you might hang onto the equipment, or even try to recall why you bought it in the first place. :)

Tell you what. Next time you go out with the family locally in the Boston area, if you like, I'll come along and be your familiy photographer. Then maybe you will get a flavor for what you can actually achieve with a DSLR.... ;)

You are quite right regarding the seriousness of where I stand within my photography needs/wants.
I'm just seeing the clouded "future" of where photography is heading and maybe I should just clear my mind and enjoy what I have now.

This is the point why I don't know if it is worth keeping the DSLR or just move forward with the Sony A6000 and build from there. :confused:

I would definitely be at a loss if I ended up selling my Nikon gear...but whatever I lose is another step towards the growth of the Sony.
If this makes any sense.

Bill16

Needs now vs possible needs in the future. There is just too many variables in that equation to offer advice on how to solve it. Money,health,desire,creativity,drive,want vs needs, and so on. :(
But I think if the Sony gives you that excited feeling and will keep you wanting to take photos, then maybe that is the direction you should go my friend. If the Nikon no longer gives you that feeling and you don't think any different Nikon model will either, then I think you should sell the Nikon and the gear for it. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Why don't you just keep both for now, wait a bit and see after a while. Seems like you already would be taking a hit selling so I don't think you'd loose much more if you'd waited a bit longer. Just to make sure that you really prefer the 6000 and that there were no features that you couldn't live without if you'd sell the 7000.

crycocyon

Interesting video, thanks. Well, does your family tend to ride motocross over 30 ft jumps? ;) Certainly you have an awesome mirrorless camera. The future probably belongs to them. But what about now and what you enjoy the most about photography? Maybe I'm being old fashioned, but I prefer the feel of a DSLR to a small pocket camera....it is just more stable and easier to hold. And the point about the blackout time being shorter in the video also might make a difference in the shooting experience. I have a D7000 as well for my wife. She likes to use it for more serious event photography and she keeps her Samsung Galaxy camera for parties, etc.. I'm probably going to upgrade her camera at some point to a D7100. But one thing drives me the most toward a DSLR and that is image quality. Probably your D7000 can't keep up with the Sony A6000 on that front, but that doesn't mean the D7000 isn't capable. To me, getting instant feedback through an optical viewfinder is critical to the photographic process. But I guess I am spoiled because I can enjoy the full-frame speed of a D4 and the incredible resolution and dynamic range of a D800. If we take a step back to look at the larger picture, I think photography is a culture and the pocket mirrorless culture is different from the DSLR culture, just as there is an iphone camera culture and a DSLR video culture, as well as a 35mm film camera culture. All of these are part of the rich photographic art and there are so many tools from which we may draw our palette. I would go with whatever enhances your creative experience the most, whatever frees you the most from concentrating or worrying about the equipment, to enjoying the relationship with your subject and capturing the moments you want the most and that best reflect your personal style. We each have our own favorite tools, and it is like a favorite paint brush. It might be older, but the way it feels in the hand permits us to best express ourselves. If that camera feels right to you, then go with it.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

The A6000 takes great pictures. That being said.....oh hell, just sell all the Nikon stuff and stick with Sony. They are amazing cameras for their size, and it is probably the wave of the future. People just don't want to lug big bulky gear around any more, unless they're serious about photography.

dragion

The A6000 takes great pictures. That being said.....oh hell, just sell all the Nikon stuff and stick with Sony. They are amazing cameras for their size, and it is probably the wave of the future. People just don't want to lug big bulky gear around any more, unless they're serious about photography.

The difference in weight & size is a good reason to sell, but my thoughts are still mixed.
The feeling of the D7000 in the hands feel so well balanced...especially with the battery grip.

I can agree that the Sony A6000 is an amazing camera and is the way of the future.

I guess both has their place.

My feelings at this moment is to keep the D7000 for a bit longer and see what happens....unless I get an itch for better glass & flash for the A6000 and need to scratch sooner.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

The difference in weight & size is a good reason to sell, but my thoughts are still mixed.
The feeling of the D7000 in the hands feel so well balanced...especially with the battery grip.

I can agree that the Sony A6000 is an amazing camera and is the way of the future.

I guess both has their place.

My feelings at this moment is to keep the D7000 for a bit longer and see what happens....unless I get an itch for better glass & flash for the A6000 and need to scratch sooner.

I'm sure the D7000 is a great camera as is my 7100...I have read an ongoing blog from someone who takes a lot of pictures with the NEX line and has recently purchased the A6000. It has the size that most people want nowadays. I think I'd hold off until Sony comes up with a full frame Alpha....I don't think they've made one yet, have they?