Some Recent Studio Images

Bob Blaylock

Looks to me like the makeup she's wearing is too thick. I've noticed that, about some red-haired women in particular, that they often wear makeup that is so thick that at any reasonably close distance, you can clearly see that it is not skin that you're seeing on her face, but a substantial layer of makeup. It looks fine from farther back, but it looks unattractively fake, from very near. Of course, these pictures were taken from very near, perhaps the optimal distance to most enhance the unattractive fakeness of the look.

I suspect that the reason for this is that red-haired women, in particular, tend to have a lot of freckles, that they think the freckles are unattractive, and that that is how much makeup it takes to cover them. That would appear to be the case here. The makeup seems to be thinner on her forehead, and you can see a few freckles showing through; and also some freckles on her shoulder in a few of the shots.

I have a hard time imagining that the freckles could be as unattractive as the excessive makeup that it takes to cover them.

ShootRaw

I like the B&W version the best...You have 4 dust spots on your second image you might want to remove in post...I would like to see more shots with the shoulder involved....Not bad thou...

DraganDL

The make-up is maybe thick, but unfortunately, it doesn't do it's job here: the face's "relief" is VERY visible, especially in photos number 4, 7 and 8. They are but HARSH (though, maybe you wanted them to be such:confused:).
Black'n'white is OK - the lack of colors kinda makes it more acceptable...

Last edited:

ianjenn

The make-up is maybe thick, but unfortunately, it doesn't do it's job here: the face's "relief" is VERY visible, especially in photos number 4, 7 and 8. They are but HARSH (though, maybe you wanted them to be such:confused:). Black'n'white is OK - the lack of colors kinda makes it more acceptable...
Yeah the light was harsh on a few. I did no skin correction just color, and curves. The D800 pulls a good bit of info out. I will pull those files more and brighten them up that will hide many "blems" that are now showing. May do some skin smoothing though I hate it.....

wud

There are some very overexposed blue, specially in the last image - guess its from adjusting levels, you should see if you could get it removed (layer mask).

A while ago I bought Mamas Powder, which is a Photoshop action - you press play and then you paint with a soft brush on the layer mask, to apply the action on the image. I just did a quick job on your small web sized image and made the action with 50% opacity (just for the record, I haven't tried printing a image done with Mamas Powder yet, you might try that before handing out to a client, juuuust to be sure how it looks :)). You can do much better and more precise with your original big file:

Untitled-1.jpg

ianjenn

Well, I'm just a newbie but I think these photos are fantastic. Thanks for sharing them. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks here is another with no skin touch up just pulled the curve a bit to brighten it up. I am gonna mess around with a few smoothing techniques.....

ianjenn

Just curious... You have labeled yourself as a Pro... Why would you let people edit your images?... Just sayin

I have been a Professional Product shooter for 8 years. This is my side-work unpaid not a client a friend. If it was paid work I would not want editing done to the files. It's always good to see others ideas on file manipulation and outputs....

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I can understand how having one's image edited by others could be menacing to one's ego, but on the other hand, it could be a great source of learning and improvement. We have to accept that in photography there are as many edits possible as taste can vary with your choice of breakfast cereals.

Of course, when someone feels insecure in his work (or hobby), that person can be less forgiving about having his images processed a different way. But if one stays open about other people's taste, there would be no harm done with image editions. But this has been discussed here and I remember we lost a good member because I had edited one of his picture before asking his permission. This is why we now have this option when we fill our profile and we should respect everyone's choice.

ianjenn

Did actual editing and color correcting on calibrated monitor. I am still not used to the "NIKON" cast my 1Ds 2 was somewhat blue the D800e seems almost green/orange weird. But these are basically done now I think. They look better to you guys?