just purcased a 50mm 1.8g af-s lens

scoobychief

hi just purchased the lens above and it came with a uv filter attached to the lens, would you guys keep this on the lens or do you use your lens without filter etc, bought it from someone who has had it on since new?.

Woodyg3

Contributor
It offers a little protection for the front lens element, and can cut a little haze from your shots at times. Lots of people keep a UV filter on all the time.

al84

hye scooby i uploaded some shots from the 50 mm 1.8 lens up on the forum looking forward to seeing ya images!!

Mike D90

The 50mm lens front element is so far buried inside the lens hood that I see no need for the filter myself. I take care of my lenses and I choose not to have that extra element in front of my very tack sharp lens.

Deezey

I second Mike. On lenses with a buried front element I don't see a need for protection. There is just too much space for things to interfere with image quality. Trapped humidity and condensation. Or certain situations with the UV filter throwing glare or reflections too.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

aroy

I use the UV filter mainly to keep dust and finger prints at bay. As long as the filter is optically neutral it is fine, but there are a lot of inexpensive filters which are optically so-so and may result in image degradation. Those are best avoided.

crycocyon

It would be interesting to know the brand. Recessed or not, I protect my lenses with filters (Hoya HMC Supers). One time my wife pushed down on the D7000 in the camera bag and the cap was not on all the way, pushed against the lens and broke the filter, but not the lens (took me a long time to clean the broken glass off). It was the 18-55mm lens and without the recessed front element it could have well been damaged. Even a recessed lens could be damaged. I prefer to keep my lenses in perfect condition.

Also more reading here:

Should You Use a UV Filter on Your Lens?: Digital Photography Review

aroy

It would be interesting to know the brand. Recessed or not, I protect my lenses with filters (Hoya HMC Supers). One time my wife pushed down on the D7000 in the camera bag and the cap was not on all the way, pushed against the lens and broke the filter, but not the lens (took me a long time to clean the broken glass off). It was the 18-55mm lens and without the recessed front element it could have well been damaged. Even a recessed lens could be damaged. I prefer to keep my lenses in perfect condition.

Also more reading here:

Should You Use a UV Filter on Your Lens?: Digital Photography Review
I use Hoya HMC filters myself.

The front element of the lense is normally the thickest and the most robust glass in the lense. So it will be difficult to break it casually. The dust and finger prints are a different beast, and difficult to control and appear mysteriously on my filters. I wash them regularly, an endeavor I would not attempt with the lense.

fotojack

Indoors, I don't use filters. Outdoors, depending on where and weather conditions, I use a filter SOMETIMES!. Also depends on what lens, too. And Hoya are my filters of choice. Tiffen comes in a close second. :)