Newbie Here!!

grdnangl

Hi, I am new to this forum and consider myself to be a very beginner-skilled photographer. I normally shoot in Aperature mode, and have not ventured to Manual mode - too confusing to me at this point, but really want to learn!!

I have a D7000 and the following lenses:

*Kit lens 18-105mm
*Tamron 70-200 (used mostly for my daughter's indoor dance competitions)
*35mm f1.8

Considering buying 85 mm micro 3.5?? (I love photgraphing flowers in my garden, etc.)

Which brings me to my question: What lens would you consider 'essential' for an all-around lens?

I love to take my camera on vacations, however, it gets to be pretty heavy, so I would like to take only 1-2 lenses with me. What do you consider to be a great all-around lens to carry on vacations, etc?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites. If you want to go light for vacations purposes, the 18-300 is probably the best lens to have on the camera. Take the 35 1.8 for low light situations and you'r pretty well covered. This way you don't have to switch lenses on the run while touristing.

Again, you ask 20 people, you'll get 20 different opinions.

Pretzel

Welcome to our addiction!

That 18-105 is a pretty decent walk-around lens, and the other 2 lenses are a nice compliment. Is there something else, perhaps that you're wanting it to do?

Englischdude

hi and welcome,

i think you already own the perfect package you need for holiday snaps, 18-105 for general lens, 35mm for low light/evening situations.

wornish

welcome.gif

I second the recommendation made by Marcel.
I had the 18 - 300mm zoom and it worked great for travel.