I need TELECONVERTER advice.

TedG954

I'd like to buy a Nikon brand 1.4 teleconverter but I'm not sure it will work with the intended lens (or lenses).

I want to use it with the Nikon 80-200/2.8 (2 ring), and/or my 80-400VR.

Is anyone using the set up I'm intending? Or, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

480sparky

Click here and choose the Compatible With tab.....

(Doesn't look like the 80-200 is listed, but the 80-400 is)

If you're wanting the NEW 1.4TC, it's only compatible with two lenses.... 70-200 VII and the yet-to-be-released 400mm.

Last edited:

TedG954

Thanks for the tip Sparky! If I'm reading the chart correctly, the 1.4 will work with both lenses. Am I correct?

AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED
No limitations​
No limitations​
No limitations​
No limitations​
Not Compatible​
2208AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
AF limitations†​
AF limitations†​
AF limitations†​
AF limitations†​
Not Compatible​

Mrmover

Click here and choose the Compatible With tab.....

(Doesn't look like the 80-200 is listed, but the 80-400 is)

If you're wanting the NEW 1.4TC, it's only compatible with two lenses.... 70-200 VII and the yet-to-be-released 400mm.

That's a mistake on the compatible tab on the Nikon site, here is the list of compatible lenses from the Nikon Imaging site
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/teleconverters/af-s_tc-14e_3/spec.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aroy

None of the "D" lenses will work with TC-14E III, as mechanical linkages for aperture control are omitted (to make it lighter and cheaper!). Only the newer "G" lenses will work.

The older TC-14E II should work with all lenses with CPU, that is "D" and "G" lenses.

480sparky

.........The older TC-14E II should work with all lenses with CPU, that is "D" and "G" lenses.

Incorrect. It will only work with certain lenses.

Current and recent Nikon TC's have elements that protrude in front of the lens mount. This will preclude many lenses from being used simply because the TC's glass will hit the rear element of the lens.

Nikonv3rdpartycompatibility.jpg

In addition, the 1.4 II is one with a small tab included in the mount to prevent using non-compatible lenses. I have a 1.4 that's been shaved.

ShavedTC.jpg

aroy

My mistake, I should have said that TC-14E is compatible with all Telephoto lenses.

For those lenses that cannot use Nikon TC, there are Kenko versions which can be used, as their design does not have the protruding element.