I need an opinion on this Nikkor Macro Lens Please 55mm 1:3.5

fotococo

Hi: Can you guys tell me if this used lens is a good buy for Macro photography? I was going to buy a 40mm Nikkor that is out now by Nikon but came across this for 100. I have tried the tubes and didnt like them. I dont mind that it doesnt have AF. I just liked that it is a lens that can do macro. I dont know how to compare the 40mm one to this one. I just want it for macro. Or should I just wait and buy the 40mm new? Thanks
nikkor.png

aroy

A few comments.
1. Is this pre-Ai or AIS
2. Check the date of manufacture, these lenses have been made for quite a long period, and the older lenses may be worn out.
3. Unless you are doing table top macro work, 55mm is a bit short with quite a close lense to object distance. This means that you will not be able to illuminate the object properly. Further if you intent to shoot bugs, being so close will spook them fast. The 105mm AIS is more suited for bugs.
4. The non CPU manual focus lenses will not meter with the D3xxx bodies, so you will have to set the exposure in "Manual" mode, which means that unless and until you gues it right, there will be quite a few trials to nail the exposure.

You can check these reviews to get an idea of how good/bad this lense is.

Nikon 55mm f/3.5 Review
55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor-P Auto