Travel lens or big guns ?

earsnow

Hi Guys, going on vacation to Mexico this summer. Jungle trekking for wildlife,landscapes and family beach stuff.
Do I take my Nikkor AF 80-200 F2.8 ED, Nikkor 40 mm micro f2.8, Tamron 17-35 f2.8/4, Tamron 35-75 f2.8, Nikkor 300mm f4,
Or buy or Hire Nikon 18-200 vr lens and maybe take 40 mm micro as well, with my D7100.
I'm thinking of the bulk and weight against small, light and easy to take everywhere. I might regret not taking the quality glass though?
Anybody had the same dilemma, what would you do?

Thanks Earsnow

Horoscope Fish

Hi Guys, going on vacation to Mexico this summer. Jungle trekking for wildlife,landscapes and family beach stuff.
Do I take my Nikkor AF 80-200 F2.8 ED, Nikkor 40 mm micro f2.8, Tamron 17-35 f2.8/4, Tamron 35-75 f2.8, Nikkor 300mm f4,
Or buy or Hire Nikon 18-200 vr lens and maybe take 40 mm micro as well, with my D7100.
I'm thinking of the bulk and weight against small, light and easy to take everywhere. I might regret not taking the quality glass though?
Anybody had the same dilemma, what would you do?

Thanks Earsnow
Juggling what lens, or lenses, to take when heading out is always a bit of a dilemma.

If it were me, I'd take the 17-35 f/2.8-4 and the 80-200mm f/2.8 and call it good. At some point you have to stop fretting over what lens you'd like to have to get the job done, and focus on getting the job done with the lens you have.

Eyelight

Take it all. Buy more if needed. If it comes down to survival, you can always leave it beside the trail for the next guy/gal.:)

Seriously though, my thought is take as much as you can comfortably carry the distance. Theoretically, a bunch of primes would yield the best photos. Tactically, the 18-200mm would be do the job. Logistically, the best may be what you have; 3 zooms to cover the the distance and add the micro, because unless you get to the point of survival, you won't know the 40mm is in the pack.

Consider the weather you are likey to encounter and the effect it may l have on your capabilities.

If you want to trim it down, take the lens(es) that spend the most time on your camera.

earsnow

DSC_0085.jpg Thanks everyone a great help. Love hearing from you all.
Earsnow

Patrick M

Travel light . . . Carry 1 to 2 lenses. I always fear carrying a lot of gear overseas. Too many things can happen . . . Enjoy your vacation.

Ditto
You're on holiday. It'll be buggered up if you're too weighed down with gear. In a jungle you probably won't want - or be able to change lenses for varying shots. You probably won't have the time for one thing. Get the shots you want quickly, but no rushing it. If you're too busy thinking about lens choice, you'll miss the shot anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

beebrasil

I was travelling a year in Australia and used the 18_200 in combo with 12-24 tonika. Shot over 25,000 in the year. Good coverage with two lens and my d200 got a work out. I now have the 7100 and still use 18-200 and tonnika. I recently purchased the bower fisheye for some fun as well. With software so good these days they can correct so much lens flaws.😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

aroy

Nikkor AF 80-200 F2.8 ED, Nikkor 40 mm micro f2.8, Tamron 17-35 f2.8/4, Tamron 35-75 f2.8, Nikkor 300mm f4,

It is a trade off. As suggested take the maximum you can carry in your back pack. It is best to cover the lower end with zooms and the high end with prime, so
. 17-35 for those wide shots. Best in jungle as the canopy will not allow long shots.
. 80-200 for medium to long ones.
. 300mm F4 (coupled with TC 1.4) for those long shots, when you have the time and luxury of setting up the camera and waiting for wild life.
. 40mm micro for macros.

All lenses are rarely required at one location. If possible go in the rainforest without a camera and just enjoy the scenery the first time. Note the photo opportunities and then go back with appropriate lense(s).