Nikon 7000 - ISO way too high when using flash

ian in uk

On auto ISO, while using the flash, the ISO typically jumps to over 5,000. The same image without the flash would be 200.

If I set the ISO to manual, there is no problem regardless of whether I use the flash.

This is a brand new camera and I thought I had everything set up correctly but obviously not.

SteveH

Welcome to the forum Ian! Where abouts in the UK are you based?

With the flash / iso problem, I believe there is an Auto-Iso setting that lets you set the maximum your happy to use - I don't often use flash, but I'd guess this setting will let you cap the high iso setting.

SteveH

Oooo now - I have found an article which is exactly what you have seen.....

Nikon D7000 settings: Shooting menu / ISO sensitivity settings » digital-photography.com - Digital photography and Nikon DSLR cameras. More focused.

Mid-way down the article, is the downsides of Auto-ISO

The auto ISO sensitivity control has three downsides:

• As long as it is switched on the D7000 will not allow any higher ISO sensitivity than the maximum value in this menu – even if you choose a higher one manually and you can see it on the LCD display. The D7000 will ignore your manual setting.
  • If you switch on the flash in low light the auto ISO sensitivity control will still increase the ISO sensitivity, even if this may be unnecessary due to the flash.
  • The auto ISO sensitivity control stays active when you switch to manual mode M – which is contradictory to the purpose of this operation mode.
    You have to switch of the auto ISO control when using mode M.

nidding

On auto ISO, while using the flash, the ISO typically jumps to over 5,000. The same image without the flash would be 200.

If I set the ISO to manual, there is no problem regardless of whether I use the flash.

This is a brand new camera and I thought I had everything set up correctly but obviously not.

Does aperture and shutter speed change in accordance with ISO? And what mode are you in? Manual or one of the auto-modes?

SteveH

Thanks Duffing. Do you know if the ISO is bumped up automatically in low light with the flash on the D7100?

I'd have to check Ian, I don't often use the flash to be honest! I have a few books so I'll flick through and find out, unless someone else with a D7100 can chip in? I'd assume it does as I don't believe the Auto-ISO was upgraded at all between versions.

Somersetscott

If I remember rightly you can set the ISO to not go over a set higher value - Like for my D7000 whenever I had it on it would be set from ISO100 upto ISO800, if it under exposed I'd not care as Lightroom could bring it back and just about sort the noise. Shooting in aperture priority mode. But most of the time I had manual ISO - used the ISO button and roller, I love the roller controls :) As far as I remember the only option for the flash is the minimum shutter speed to be used when flash is active (Set at 1/60th)? but can't remember seeing a nominal ISO in that flash/bracketing section of the menu? If you have made a mistake in the setting up and really can't figure it out, as a last resort - you could try resetting the camera settings. This is done by pressing quality/magnify button and exposure compensation button (both have green dots next to them) at the same time and hold for a few seconds. I hope you find the fixThanks,Scott

ian in uk

Just as an FYI to everyone, it turns out that the D7000 differs from the D90 in that in auto ISO mode, the ISO is automatically bumped way up in low light situations when using the flash. It's as if the auto ISO completely ignores the fact that the flash is going to fire. Basically, you get the same or an even higher ISO than you would if shooting with auto ISO in low light without using the flash.

And so says Nikon technical support; and it turns out I'm not the first to complain about this either.

aroy

That is one of the reasons I do not use auto ISO. Initially after I bought my camera the auto ISO was on, and even in good light it had a tendency to go for high ISO, even in aperture priority mode, just to increase the speed. I can just not figure out what algorithm Nikon uses to determine the ISO in auto mode.

ShootRaw

Don't use AUTO ISO....Problem solved.....You should always have your Iso level at lowest possible setting... It is the last thing you change if your Aperture and Shutter Speed settings can not give you a correct exposure...Get out of auto..