Oklahoma City National Memorial

Pretzel

April 19, 1995 - A man with malicious intent parked a rental truck, packed with explosives, on NW 5th Street with the intent to do extreme damage to the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. At 9:02 a.m., that huge homemade bomb went off, shearing off the entire north face of the building and killing 168 people, including 19 children. This memorial was built to honor those who died there, and serves to offer remembrance as well as a source of peace to those who still remain. I finally got the chance to visit, and of course I had camera in hand. Unfortunately, I don't think my pics do the memorial, or the memories, any justice.

Here's the memorial as viewed when approaching on NW 5th street.

Day136-4.jpg

A fence to either side of the memorial serves as a place for the many survivors and visitors to leave a token of remembrance, and well wishes for all involved.

Day136-5.jpg

As stated earlier, this incident took place on NW 5th street, so the memorial site replaces part of that street. Once stepping inside the gate, you can see that NW 5th ends here, and continues on the other side of the Memorial once you pass out of the far gate.

Day136-12.jpg

Last edited:

Pretzel

The gates on each side are stamped with two different times.

The East Gate is stamped 9:01 and represents the moment of peace and innocence right before the disaster.

Day136-10.jpg

The West Gate is stamped 9:03, and represents the moment the world changed. You see, this act of terrorism was wrought by "one of us", so even though larger acts of terrorism have occurred, this memory remains as one of the most heinous of all crimes.

Day136-11.jpg

Here's a shot of the 9:01 gate, and the pool that occupies the space between the gates. The entire memorial was built in remembrance of the gap in time between 9:01 and 9:03, for 9:02 was the moment when the bomb was detonated.

Day136-9.jpg

The pool is meant to be used for "reflection", and occupies what was once NW 5th Street. It's very shallow (around an inch) and drains around the edges, providing the peaceful sound of gently flowing water in order to sooth wounds and provide a peaceful setting for quite reflection and thought. It's intent is for visitors to look in and see their own reflection as someone changed forever by this act and/or their visit to the site.

Pretzel

Next to the reflection pool is a field full of empty chairs. There are 9 rows, 1 for each floor of the building, and each one bears the name of someone killed on that floor. 5 chairs stand separate from the rest to represent those who were killed outside of the building. Altogether, there are 168 empty chairs.

Day136-13.jpg

Every single chair represents an unfinished story, but the 19 shorter chairs are the ones that left a lump in my throat... each one represents one of the children killed on that day.

Day136-15.jpg

Many of the chairs represent lost friends, family or loved ones, so people will often visit and leave a small token of their love. This child's chair had a red carnation, secured with a zip tie so it couldn't be blown away...

Day136-14.jpg

The bases of these chairs, and several other areas of the memorial, are lit at night to shine as a beacon of hope for the future. Unfortunately, we couldn't stay that long on this trip.

Phillydog1958

April 19, 1995 - A man with malicious intent parked a rental truck, packed with explosives, on NW 5th Street with the intent to do extreme damage to the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. At 9:02 a.m., that huge homemade bomb went off, shearing off the entire north face of the building and killing 168 people, including 19 children. This memorial was built to honor those who died there, and serves to offer remembrance as well as a source of peace to those who still remain. I finally got the chance to visit, and of course I had camera in hand. Unfortunately, I don't think my pics do the memorial, or the memories, any justice.

Here's the memorial as viewed when approaching on NW 5th street.

View attachment 89465

A fence to either side of the memorial serves as a place for the many survivors and visitors to leave a token of remembrance, and well wishes for all involved.

View attachment 89466

As stated earlier, this incident took place on NW 5th street, so the memorial site replaces part of that street. Once stepping inside the gate, you can see that NW 5th ends here, and continues on the other side of the Memorial once you pass out of the far gate.

View attachment 89467

Nice photos. I'm just 2 hours north, on I-35. I've been there. Did you stop by Brick Town?

Pretzel

Across the street, there was Saint Joseph Cathedral, the oldest parish in Oklahoma City, and it was badly damaged from the bombing as well, and soon after was demolished. On the third anniversary of the bombing, the church erected a memorial of its own. A statue of Jesus stands with his back to the memorial park, his head bowed, and a hand covering his face. An inscription on the base reads, "And Jesus Wept".

Simply stated, it was built to show that even Jesus was horrified and saddened by this act of violence.

Day136-25.jpg

Day136-26.jpg

He faces a granite wall that has 168 niches, one for each victim and representing the void left by each life lost. Candles are often placed in these niches as people drop by to pray for their souls, as is common with Catholic beliefs.

Day136-27.jpg

Pretzel

Nice photos. I'm just 2 hours north, on I-35. I've been there. Did you stop by Brick Town?

This time through, we did not, although we're planning an overnight stay soon. Planning on visiting the memorial at night, to catch the lit display, and hoping to visit (and thoroughly enjoy) Brick Town as well!

Pretzel

The rest of the pictures that follow are just random snapshots from the rest of the visit. A couple of visiting people, more than a couple of visiting birds.

Day136-24.jpg

Day136-28.jpg

Day136-29.jpg

Day136-30.jpg

What the heck YOU lookin' at???

Day136-31.jpg

That's right, ignore him... Look at ME!

Day136-32.jpg

Pretzel

Got the chance to go back and catch some night shots. It's interesting that the designer of the memorial wanted nearly everything to light up to signify that light would always shine through, even in the darkest of times. Hope these pics show that...

Also, each of the chairs lights up individually to show a beacon of hope for each individual killed by this event. Viewing 168 beacons of hope... well... let's just say it gets ya down deep in the gut.

NightMurrah1.jpg

NightMurrah2.jpg

NightMurrah3.jpg

NightMurrah4.jpg

NightMurrah5.jpg

This last pic was just a "fun" shot as I headed back around to my very patient wife where she was waiting while I snapped a few shots right before the park curfew kicked in. That blurred individual is her shifting slightly while I catch near perfect reflections of the well lit park behind her. :)

NightMurrah6.jpg

RocketCowboy

Thanks for these pictures, Pretzel. I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. Your pics do a great job representing the memorial.