Time once again for summer senior sessions

Browncoat

The end of May is rapidly approaching. That means the very busy spring and summer photo season is upon us!

In contrast to what a lot of my competition is churning out for high school seniors, I've gone with a much more edgy look that is especially popular with the guys. Here's one that got a lot of positive feedback last year:

If I were to give this look a name, it would be "Abercrombie". It just reminds me of something you would see in an ad for clothes that are too expensive. There's a lot of textbook photography posing in this photo.

POP QUIZ. See if you can find them all!

Seniors-11-1.jpg

fotojack

Head tilt...body turned just right...arm placement... leg placement...comp is perfect...center cropped...in my opinion, a very well done portrait. Nice job, Tony. :)

Browncoat

Head tilt...body turned just right...arm placement... leg placement...comp is perfect...center cropped...in my opinion, a very well done portrait. Nice job, Tony. :)

Winnah winnah, chicken dinnah! Good eye, Jack. The rules of good portraiture aren't just for the studio.
1) Head tilt - There is a masculine and feminine version. Women tilt towards the camera, men away from.
2) Body turn - A slight turn at the waist, even when sitting, creates a more natural look.
3) Arm placement - If it bends, bend it. Straight arms look bad. Women should always do something with their hands.
4) Leg placement - When sitting, one foot should be higher than the other.​

Some of this stuff will feel awkward to the subject. It seems odd that so much posing has to go into making a "natural" look, especially for a casual pose like this one.