50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8?

spyderdos

Re: Choice's?

I would presume you are a Dx camera user. The 50 1.4 lens is a good one but in terms of focal length and practical use, it is close to your 35mm.......i
would rather get the 85 1.8 since it has a longer focal length and really sharp one, good for portraits. But again, it still depends on your shooting style and preferences.

run4fun

I've been doing a lot of reading and that seems to be my best option. Just like to get the opinion of more experienced guys.

Blacktop

Yes, the 50 is just way too close to the 35, so it wouldn't make sense to spend the money on it. I would get the 85.

aroy

I just ordered a 85mm 1.8D. Can't wait! I have the 35mm 1.8G and think between it and the 85mm I will be in good shape.

You have not specified which camera you have. The "D" lenses will not auto focus on the 3xxx and 5xxx series. If your camera does not have an inbuilt motor, then you will have to manually focus the lense, unless you change it to the "G" series which are AF-S (that is they have a built in motor in each lens)

rocketman122

85mm for the win. perfect for aesthetically pleasing shots of people. perspective is correct and flattering. nothing like an 85. 50 is fine but you have the 35. youll be fine.

run4fun

I would presume you are a Dx camera user. The 50 1.4 lens is a good one but in terms of focal length and practical use, it is close to your 35mm.......i
would rather get the 85 1.8 since it has a longer focal length and really sharp one, good for portraits. But again, it still depends on your shooting style and preferences.

Sorry about that, YES D7100

run4fun

Just picked my 35mm 1.8G & 85mm 1.8G up very excited to use and learn what each does differently!! Thanks for the input. Think I will head into to Boston tomorrow and do some wondering around ;)

rwdflynavy

You have not specified which camera you have. The "D" lenses will not auto focus on the 3xxx and 5xxx series. If your camera does not have an inbuilt motor, then you will have to manually focus the lense, unless you change it to the "G" series which are AF-S (that is they have a built in motor in each lens)
My D7100 is listed in my profile just like the D3300 is listed in yours...