considering d7100 or d5300

Sleepless619

I'm wondering how they compare in image quality alone. I don't care about build quality our functions. Which one will have the sharpest, least noise and best overall image, if there even is a difference?

pedroj

Hi...Welcome...The D7100 has an auto focus motor...The D5300 needs AF-S lens to auto focus...

I Think they will take decent images if your technique is OK....

rocketman122

I think they both have the same sensor. maybe the D5300 is "crippled" by nikon so it doesnt have a clear advantage over the flagship DX camera. I think you must focus more on the lenses and not which is sharper etc. your technique will be the deciding factor in IQ. a photog who knows technical and artistic parts of photography can probably present nicer images than a novice even with a d80

the swivel screen is nice but only 1 memory slot and no front command dial is a big no no for me. only AFS lenses isnt really an issue I think, because there's tons of excellent AFD lenses. I did consider it for doing (learning) videography. ive since passed my D600 and only have 720p capable cameras.

the camera isnt the final word for IQ.

Last edited:

aroy

Nikon D3300 versus Nikon D5300 versus Nikon D7100 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

Gives DXO comparison of the 3 24MP sensors.
. The D3300 has the best High ISO and colour depth
. The D5300 has the best DR
. The D7100 is most rugged.

The differences are minor, and at a gross level you can easily assume that all the three cameras will produce the same images. The coice then boils down to waht "Extras" you want - Motor, Swivel Screen, Ruggedness or cost.

john*thomas

IMO when comparing the D5300 and D7100 image quality should be well down the list of considerations as both are going to relatively the same for the average user.

So there are other considerations. The D5300 is a good bit smaller and lighter. I do admit that I liked the smaller size of the D5100 I had over the D7100. I also liked the swivel screen on the back but I also knew that it was only a matter of time before I broke it. Which is also why I like the more robust build of the D7100. I also really like that the D7100 has the internal motor. I like that I can pick up an older lens and it will still autofocus.

So IMO if you have somewhere you can go and handle both that is what you should do. Then decide which features you think you will use the most. If you think you want to take a lot of pics of yourself, then the D5300 would be best because of the swivel screen. Both are going to take pics that are extremely close for the average user.

Woodyg3

Contributor
D7100 has a bigger, brighter full coverage viewfinder. That's a big deal to me. The sturdier construction and dust/moisture sealing matters to me, too, even though I baby my equipment. I just ordered a D7100, so I guess I'll have more to say in a few days. :)

Pebbleheed

The D5300 is often reviewed with better image quality than the D7100. BUT keep in mind that these reviews use tests that go beyond most user's needs.

I owned the D5300 before my D7100. In all truth my images seem to be slightly better image quality with the D7100 even with the same lenses.

For me the D7100 is much more fun to use and gives me more control when taking my photos so I tend to produce better images myself.

Remember that the camera is only part of the equation. Especially when IQ differences are minimal like this.

Horoscope Fish

My girlfriend shoots with a D5300, I shoot with a D7100. Using the same lenses on both cameras, I would find it impossible to tell which camera took which photo. Both cameras need really good glass to take full advantage of what they're capable of, though. I'm firmly convinced the removal of the OLPF makes a very significant difference in overall image quality. My girlfriend shot with a D3200 before I upgraded her to the D5300 and was shocked at how much cleaner her shots looked coming out of D5300; the D3200 has the OLPF, the D5300 does not. With a prime lens the D5300 image quality is jaw-droppingly good; certainly on par with my D7100.

If shooting JPG, the Sharpening setting needs to be bumped but that's the only settings adjustment we found that was needed. Color and contrast were superb out of the box. If you truly don't need all the extra buttons and features of the D7100, buy the D5300 with confidence.

Last edited:

Pebbleheed

I wouldn't shoot JPG with either camera unless you're desperate for the extra frame rate JPG can squeeze out. You're missing out on so much by not using RAW.

aroy

I wouldn't shoot JPG with either camera unless you're desperate for the extra frame rate JPG can squeeze out. You're missing out on so much by not using RAW.

Neither would I. It is so easy to convert RAW to JPEG. Just use the free View NX program. If you do not want to be bothered with post processing just convert the RAW to JPG in a batch. At least if you would like to squeeze out more out of a shot at a later date, you can. Shoot in JPG and you are limiting your self.

The advantages of shooting jpeg are
. You can shoot faster
. Your card hold more shots
. You can send the images immediately. Useful if you are a press photographer, with a tight deadline.

Last edited: