My new D800........ Uh Oh!!

Vegas33139

Unbelievable. I was walking about the house chasing the dog with my D800 when I turned around only to catch the pop-up flash on the door frame - SMASH!!

I've only had my new camera a week!!

Anyway, the D800 is going to have to be sent off for repair for a completely new pop-up flash housing and mechanism.

Everything else is working ok, but I'm sat here wandering how much is this going to cost me? £200? £300? Grrrrrr. I feel mad as hell.:livid:

What do you guys reckon?

Vegas33139

Bad timing as well. The wife and I are off on holiday in three weeks time. My camera and lenses were all ready, cleaned and primed and almost packed, ready for the off. I was quite excited about taking my new D800 on holiday for it's first time.

I'll still take it, but I have used duck tape to hold the flash mechanism in place, which Looks kind of rubbish, but hey ho - what can you do? If I send it off to Nikon now, there's no way I will get it back in time. Ah well, for low light shots I'll just have to rely on my 50mm 1.8. Hopefully I can get away with using the flash.

Akozub

If I saw someone with a D800 duck taped together Id think "that's one bad ass photographer" and wonder what kind of action magazine he works for, lol.

Vegas33139

If I saw someone with a D800 duck taped together Id think "that's one bad ass photographer" and wonder what kind of action magazine he works for, lol.

LOL. I could boast that I infiltrated some notorious LA gangbangers, and the damage to my camera was a consequence of my daily struggle in life to survive fights, shoot-outs and robberies and scrapes with law enforcement. Or I could come clean and say I was a dumbass chasing my demented dog around the house with my 800. !!:p

SkvLTD

I think you just have a bad luck moment/getting way too carried. I skate the streets with my 600 in-hand and I'm risking having my own body's pop up flash getting taken off nevermind the camera's. lol

SteveH

Do you have accidental damage on your home insurance? It won't help before the holiday, but it may help with the cost of repair?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Unbelievable. I was walking about the house chasing the dog with my D800 when I turned around only to catch the pop-up flash on the door frame - SMASH!!

I've only had my new camera a week!!

Anyway, the D800 is going to have to be sent off for repair for a completely new pop-up flash housing and mechanism.

Everything else is working ok, but I'm sat here wandering how much is this going to cost me? £200? £300? Grrrrrr. I feel mad as hell.:livid:

What do you guys reckon?

Sorry to hear about your camera. I dropped my D800E about 7 months ago and I just received it back from Authorized Photo Service (APS) since the housing cracked and shorted some of the circuit cards inside. $840 total damage. I hope your camera can be salvage but it appears that it is not as bad as it seem.

Vegas33139

Do you have accidental damage on your home insurance? It won't help before the holiday, but it may help with the cost of repair?

Well, Some goods news has come to light. Unbeknown to me, good old wifey (knowing what a clutz I am) stuck my new D800 and my 70-200 2.8 VR2 on the house insurance. :D For a princely sum of £7/month my camera and main lens is insured for up £3500 which includes theft and accidental damage.

I knew there was a good reason I married her. Bless her - she's a diamond, as we say in the UK.

Soon as we get back from Cayo Coco I'm throwing a claim in.

Vegas33139

Sorry to hear about your camera. I dropped my D800E about 7 months ago and I just received it back from Authorized Photo Service (APS) since the housing cracked and shorted some of the circuit cards inside. $840 total damage. I hope your camera can be salvage but it appears that it is not as bad as it seem.

Ooh, I mean oouch!! Compared to mine that's pretty depressing. I hope yours is all ok now, gqtuazon!!

SteveH

Well, Some goods news has come to light. Unbeknown to me, good old wifey (knowing what a clutz I am) stuck my new D800 and my 70-200 2.8 VR2 on the house insurance. :D For a princely sum of £7/month my camera and main lens is insured for up £3500 which includes theft and accidental damage.

I knew there was a good reason I married her. Bless her - she's a diamond, as we say in the UK.

Soon as we get back from Cayo Coco I'm throwing a claim in.

Cracking news! (No pun intended!) At least you needn't worry about the cost, even if you have to pay then claim the money back.

Vegas33139

Cracking news! (No pun intended!) At least you needn't worry about the cost, even if you have to pay then claim the money back.

Good news indeed, Steve. Although I was more p*ssed off about how I damaged it more than the costs. I'm just thankful the 800 is well built and seemingly able to take a few knocks. Another thing that really erks me is that I always look after my kit so when I sell it on I can confidently claim that it's in A1 condition and that whoever buys my ex-kit will have many years of enjoyment out of it. My plan was to keep the 800 for 12-18 months and then sell it on to raise funds for my next purchase - the D4s.

Anyway - I can now relax in Cuba knowing everything will eventually be OK, I hope!!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I just put all my lenses and camera on my homeowners policy as well......my wife understands that now that she knows how much all of it costs! She's a sapphire and diamond! lol