Strange battery drain

Docone

I have a strange thing with my D800.
I have the original EN-el15 battery in the camera, then there is a non-original en-el15 i my battery grip.

The camera is set to first use the battery in the D800 ant then the one in the grip.

After a week with both battery on 100% power the one i D800 is at 99% but the other is on 75%

When I turn off the camera I don't turn of the on/off on the grip.

Is the normal behavior?

Bill16

I don't think so! At least it isn't with the D300. But I had a similar issue using a meike on my D90 with a digital display on the side of the grip. It drained batteries like that, and when I switched to a Nikon brand grip the issue stopped.
What brand of grip are you using? Maybe that might be the issue your having!

Docone

My battery grip is a noname non-Nikon - but it doesn't have a display only the standard 3 button and one wheel. But it sounds like it could be the case.

Bill16

Only one command wheel? Wow that seems strange! I know Nikon brand battery grips are expensive, but I'd highly recommend getting one! I think you'll be very pleased by the better quality and construction, and not to mention having both command wheels!

Your current grip might have a short in it, and after investing so much in a Nikon I think it's worth using a better grip. Besides, if it's shorting out a little, then maybe it could damage your D800 if you keep using it!

My battery grip is a noname non-Nikon - but it doesn't have a display only the standard 3 button and one wheel. But it sounds like it could be the case.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Try the experiment without the grip and compare the results with each battery to see if the grip affected the rapid drain or not. It could be a settings issue but I would like you to try that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Docone

Sorry there IS two wheels.
Beside that there is minimum different between my grip and the Nikon have tester them both.