Humble pie bitter sweet!

Iron lung

So I have been ranting and raving about how my 3200 is not sharp and has no detail to which all you kind folks advised and tried to help, but I got lost in the technical side of trying to figure out what was wrong with my camera. Then I remembered someone mention that the camera out of the box is not sharp and that I should adjust the sharpening in cam , but I wasn't sure if it could be done while in raw...It can as I just now found out. I haven't uploaded the test shots to my PC but there is an overwhelming difference on the LCD screen at the back.

I feel like an idiot for being so stupid but I am as equally relievedthat there is nothing wrong with my camera and now with all the advice I have received from you guys I can now concentrate on new glass. Thanks again.

Dave_W

The Dude
Following on Fred's post, the camera will not (and cannot) sharpen a RAW file. If it did, then it wouldn't be a RAW file any longer.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well you shouldn't feel so stupid because you did the right thing in asking. It would have been a lot worse to exchange cameras one after the other to realize afterwards that it was all a question of in-camera adjustment.

But I can assure you that it would be time well spent if you'd look at a few sharpening tutorials on the web. You will have to use it anyway, so might as well learn it now instead of never. :)

Enjoy your Nikon!

Horoscope Fish

So I have been ranting and raving about how my 3200 is not sharp and has no detail to which all you kind folks advised and tried to help, but I got lost in the technical side of trying to figure out what was wrong with my camera. Then I remembered someone mention that the camera out of the box is not sharp and that I should adjust the sharpening in cam , but I wasn't sure if it could be done while in raw...It can as I just now found out. I haven't uploaded the test shots to my PC but there is an overwhelming difference on the LCD screen at the back.

I feel like an idiot for being so stupid but I am as equally relievedthat there is nothing wrong with my camera and now with all the advice I have received from you guys I can now concentrate on new glass. Thanks again.
Well I was the one asking if you had bumped up the Sharpening setting in your camera if you were shooting JPG. It's one of those things I suggest a lot because it makes a huge impact on the image quality of JPG's. As has already been pointed out, though, those settings (e.g. Sharpening) do not get applied to RAW files. The data for those settings is stored in the EXIF data and some applications like Nikon's View NX2 software can read that data and apply it, but RAW photos do not get processed like JPG's do.

Reiterating yet again, the image you see on the LCD on the back of your camera is a JPG file even if you're shooting RAW only. Having to sharpen RAW files as part of your post-processing workflow is normal and expected. RAW files always look flat and dull to me, as well as soft, before I begin post-processing them; but that's just the nature of the beast. At any rate, I know from a good amount of first-hand experience that the D3200 is quite a capable little camera. My girlfriend shot one using little more than a 35mm f/1.8G for a long time and the image quality of her shots was routinely superb. Then too, she's not half bad at navigating Photoshop, either...

Anyway... Here's hoping you've managed to find satisfaction with *your* D3200!

Mike D90

You should be able to post process the RAW images to be even better than the sharpened JPEG you see on the LCD. What software do you use to post process?

aroy

Glad to know that your problem has been solved easily.

One should never judge the quality of the image based on what is displayed on the camera LCD screen, even when you zoom it to the maximum. Framing yes, quality no. I find that even without any sharpening or Photoshop, the images coming out of the 24MP sensor are excellent.

I hope that when you shoot in RAW, process the images and compare the details with your older shots you will find extra details from the 24MP sensor.

Geoffc

The other thing with these high pixel cameras is not to pixel peep at 100% unless it's a very good capture as every little movement or error will show. It's like standing 18 inches from a 4 foot wide picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

marce

Glad to hear your happy no with the D3200. To get the bet results I have found editing the RAW files in an editing package gives you control over the results and a better final image as you are in control.