Setting Up D800e AF For MX?

ianjenn

Hey guys how is it going? I am new here and just recently sold all my Canon gear to get a D800. I am gonna be shooting the Hangtwon National for a magazine in 3 weeks. I wanted to see what people have been using for AF setting. My old Canon 1Ds II had a much higher keep rate than the D800 and I am guessing that has to do with custom AF settings..... Can people list what they are using? I am going out next Wed. to practice some at a local track. I have shot a few DH races and a DJ comp. The DJ was fine but DH I was maybe 2/3 in focus which is pretty bad I rarely missed a shot with the 1Ds.... Thanks

SteveH

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!
I don't use the D800, but plenty of people here do and I'm sure they will be along to comment soon. In the mean time, take a look at the AF-C mode, and 3d tracking.

AF-C essentially will constantly adjust focus based on your currently selected focus point - If you track the subject and keep it in the focus point, the camera will make sure it's focused.

3D tracking will track the subject around the frame, and keep it in focus, changing focus points as it needs to - All you have to do is keep the subject in the frame. One note on this mode, is that the subject must have good contrast against the background, and the light must be good.

Hopefully I have given enough info to get you started!

BackdoorArts

I don't shoot a lot of action (the closest I get are birds in flight), so while I have a D800 I don't often set it up for this type of photography. That said, Steve's comments about AF-C and 3D are spot on. You may also want to reduce the focus tracking lock time (custom menu a3) to 1 or 2, or even turn it off. Keep this last point in mind when you get there as you might need/want to adjust it as you review your images.

ianjenn

Okay guys I did use 3D tracking at Sea Otter last month. It worked fine for DS racing which is gated riding with two riders. The second I hit DH in the trees against bushes etc. it went to hell and I was back at AFC single point. My track speed was on slow. I didn't know you can turn it off....

Thanks