3200 blues.

Iron lung

Hi, Some of you may have seen my last thread where I complained about sharpness and detail quality on the 3200 seemed to be lacking. I was advised by a few members to purchase a ND filter and keep my cam at F7.1 as opposed to F22 because apparently diffraction was the issue. So I purchased myself an ND 8 filter and set my cam at ISO 100, F7.1 white balance cloudy and I was at 18mm on the kit lens. The ND did improve the overall image but the diffraction is still an issue. There is no detail quality in my images. Please have a look and let me know what you guys make of it?

Horoscope Fish

Are you shooting JPG or RAW?

If the former have you adjusted the in-camera sharpening setting and if the latter have you done any post-processing of the image?

DraganDL

Apart from being slightly "on the soft side", they aren't bad at all. I added a bit of sharpening and revived the colors:
test_corrected.jpg

Iron lung

Hi everyone. I shot in RAW and did some light post processing in cs6. I added sharpening already and didn't want to do any more as it was beginning to affect the image. The shutter speed for this shot was close to 4 secs and was shot on a tripod

Iron lung

Apart from being slightly "on the soft side", they aren't bad at all. I added a bit of sharpening and revived the colors:
View attachment 87713

DragonDL can I ask what process did you follow for your edit? I am only viewing it on my phone at the moment and I won't get to look at it full screen until I get home but I hazard a guess that the detail quality is still bad. It's nothing you or I can do about it its just a very bad camera in my opinion.

SteveH

DragonDL can I ask what process did you follow for your edit? I am only viewing it on my phone at the moment and I won't get to look at it full screen until I get home but I hazard a guess that the detail quality is still bad. It's nothing you or I can do about it its just a very bad camera in my opinion.

I believe from his post, that he sharpened the image, and boosted the colour saturation / luminance a little to help the colours pop a bit more.
What software are you using for your post-processing, and are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

pedroj

Hi everyone. I shot in RAW and did some light post processing in cs6. I added sharpening already and didn't want to do any more as it was beginning to affect the image. The shutter speed for this shot was close to 4 secs and was shot on a tripod

Did you have VR turned off, on a tripod with VR activated you may have soft images.

Iron lung

I believe from his post, that he sharpened the image, and boosted the colour saturation / luminance a little to help the colours pop a bit more.
What software are you using for your post-processing, and are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

I use Cs6 an i shoot raw. I also added sharpening to my origional but it was starting to look over sharpened and i also played with the colours but I like to print my shots so I don't iver sharpen

Eyelight

Curious as to what size prints you intend to make and where you would display them that the detail would need to be so very fine?

MeSess

These images look pretty good especially after DraganDL got ahold of them. The kit lens is never going to be razor sharp especially on the D3200. It's common knowledge that the kit lens isn't really going to take advantage of the 24mp or at least that's what I've read. Have you tried a prime lens?