Hello from Boston

crycocyon

Hello to a fellow Bostonian, and welcome! There will be someone along soon to suggest you tell us a bit about yourself as far as camera, photographic interests, etc.. I've found this to be a great group of Nikon enthusiasts, so I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.

run4fun

Thanks for the welcome's...I'm just getting into the photo world and so I haven't really decided on exactly what I want focus on yet. Have always been the guy at cookouts, parties and sporting event that is always taking pics. so I figured why not invest in some decent equipment and learn as I go. So I did a little research and decided to go with Nikon D7100, MB-D15 grip and wasn't to sure on lens so went to my local camera store and told them some of my interest and they recommended the Nikon 24-85 3.5-4.5 and Sigma 70-200 2.8! So that's my story and open to ALL suggestions!! Thanks

run4fun

My next thought is picking up a prime 1.8 but just not sure if it will be 35,50 or the 85. I was leaning more towards the 85 now and grabbing a 35 down the road since there much cheaper!! Thoughts?

SteveH

My next thought is picking up a prime 1.8 but just not sure if it will be 35,50 or the 85. I was leaning more towards the 85 now and grabbing a 35 down the road since there much cheaper!! Thoughts?

The 35 & 50 mm primes are very popular, some prefer the 35, others the 50mm. Essentially, 50mm is the closest to your eyes field of view making it a great all-rounder - The reason for the 35mm being popular is that a 35mm lens on a DX sensor is 52mm (52.5 to be precise)
If you like taking portraits, go for the 50mm as it leaves you less "In the face" of the model, but I prefer the 35mm as an all-rounder.

I will get the 50mm, but there are other lenses on my list before that - Namely the 105mm Macro.

run4fun

So my better half surprised me and bought me the Nikon 35mm 1.8G so I guess now I'll pick up the 85mm 1.8G and I think my bag will be set for a bit!!

SteveH

You'll have a blast with that 35mm, outstandingly sharp especially when you crank it up to F8 - F11.

Since getting the 35mm, I have only used my 18-55 kit lens once, and that was in a safari park when I was also driving!