Using internal ZOOM changes quality on video

arska7

Hi,

When I use the internal zoom option and zoom in 4 steps, it changes to better quality image. Then when I zoom out, the quality changes to much lower quality image.

I recorded video to show what I mean:

I need very fast help, because I need to use the camera soon!!

BackdoorArts

"internal zoom" is done digitally (i.e. "digital zoom", so it's an interpretation of the data hitting the sensor. So each time it zooms you're making the same size frame with the same frame rate and resolutions and making it with less data. Going from FX to DX (1.5X) is a 50% zoom and a 62% loss in image information (24MP's to about 11MP's). So going to 2X is going to be even smaller and you're quickly going to underperform what you have in the full frame.

arska7

So I shouldn't worried about the quality getting better when digitally zoomed?

I just think my d600 footage looks very compressed and videoish. And when I digitally zoom in, the quality gets better. Just like in the video I posted above.

The problem is NOT that when I use digital zoom it goes worse. The quality gets much better when I digitally zoom. And when I go to the original frame without any digital zoom, the quality I think is worse than when i digitally zoomed in.

Last edited: