D3100 and Sigma lens

RogerH

Hi
Can any one please tell me if a Sigma 17-70mm DC OS Macro HSM lens will work well with a D3100 and even better has anyone tried this combination? I find the kit lens too soft focus .It is a great effect to have but not as the only one available and If It fits and works the Sigma has had good reviews .
Any help appreciated
RogerH

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes it will. With Sigma, when it has the "HSM" attribute, it means it has a focusing motor inside the lens. Without HSM, it would not auto-focus with 3xxx and 5xxx Nikons.

Horoscope Fish

Can any one please tell me if a Sigma 17-70mm DC OS Macro HSM lens will work well with a D3100 and even better has anyone tried this combination? I find the kit lens too soft focus .It is a great effect to have but not as the only one available and If It fits and works the Sigma has had good reviews.
The Sigma 17-70mm IS a pretty nice lens but you're not going to see a dramatic improvement in sharpness with it over your current 18-55mm. You'll get less distortion and less chromatic aberration but not a big jump in sharpness. To get a significant improvement in sharpness with your current body, consider going with the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G prime. THAT will give you a significant improvement in sharpness... As well as less distortion and chromatic aberration.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Hi
Can any one please tell me if a Sigma 17-70mm DC OS Macro HSM lens will work well with a D3100 and even better has anyone tried this combination? I find the kit lens too soft focus .It is a great effect to have but not as the only one available and If It fits and works the Sigma has had good reviews .
Any help appreciated
RogerH

Welcome to the forum!

dragion

I can confirm that Sigma lenses work as long as they are HSM...interior motor built in like Nikon's AF-S lenses.
I would recommend the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 over the 17-70mm DC OS Macro...much sharper lens.

darkies

using 18-200mm
666-sigma18200mmf3563IIDCOSHSM-7_1337094869.jpg
some image shot from it
MzywxSy.jpg

Chito

I just got the Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM C and it's now my goto walk-around lens. IME, this Sigma 17-70 is a lot sharper and the IQ is better than the Nikon 18-55 kit lens. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it in place of the kit lens.

Edit: I'm referring to the 18-55 VR not the VR II.

Last edited: