Have I Broken My Lens?

raggamuffin

Got some lens cleaner spray and used it on my macro lens for my DSLR camera. Worked like a charm but a few minutes later the excess has leaked inside the lens casing and everything is cloudy in the viewfinder. I wonder if, when it dries it'll be ok? Or have I broken my lens for good?

Ed

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hopefully the cleaning solution will evaporate and the lens will clear up, depending on the nature of the cleaner.

So next time don't spray on the lens, as a matter of fact, never spray on a lens. Instead, spray on the cloth away from the lens and then clean. This way, you'll never get excess liquid that could get inside.

raggamuffin

Thankfully it was only an entry level macro lens at £140 so if it's broken I guess it's on the cheapest end of the "lesson learnt" scale.

Ed

nickt

Maybe the baggie and rice trick will help. Put lens and some rice in a plastic bag and seal it up. The rice does not need to touch the lens, its presence in the bag will help absorb moisture. Or maybe put the lens out in the warm sun or gently warm it with a hair dryer. Keep a good distance if you try the hairdryer, you don't want to force dust in there to compound your problems.
For the future... same advice for cleaning lcd displays, small and large... never spray directly. Capillary action will get liquids where you do not want them.