In this photo?

donaldjledet

The lady is bright here and the man has a yellow around his eyes,nose and part of arm.The sun was behind and to the left.
So setting was on Aperture. Should ISO have been higher? Or Higher shutter speed?
DSC_5198.JPG

Last edited:

donaldjledet

Right she is way to bright so what settings should i have used so she would not be so bright? And have know yellow tint
on the mans face and arm?

Blacktop

Ok. The guy is a little out of focus as well, probably because you shot it at f/2.
need to stop down on that aperture thing.

Blacktop

Most likely, and this is my very amature opinion, f/9 or more should have given you better DOF and not have everything so bright.

donaldjledet

Don't think so really can't remember. I shoot aperture mode about 95% of time.
Just went back and looked at ViewNX2 and it was shoot in aperture priority.

Last edited:

kevy73

yeah image is showing now.

You are correct - the lady is bright compared to the man.

Things you can do to help in similar scenario's in the future. Sadly people don't have a habit of standing or sitting in beautiful light!

1) Move them. By far the easiest way to fix this issue. If you see 2 people in differing light, the quickest, easiest way is to move them to consistent, even light.
2) If that isn't possible - Expose for the highlight. Well, that is my rule of thumb anyway. Change to spot metering (or center weighted). If you are in aperture mode, point the camera at an area of brightness - lock the exposure with the AE/L button. Focus, compose and shoot.
3) If that is too dark in other areas of the shot then, try again, but don't point at the brightest area, point at a mid range.
4) When all else fails - try using your flash to help with fill light or to create even light.

Thats just my few cents worth.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Don't think so really can't remember. I shoot aperture mode about 95% of time.

Sorry, the ISO 140 had me thinking that.
Anyway. When it's really sunny out like that, I set it at ISO100, and set the aperture at around f/9 or 11.
A shot like this doesn't need f/2 . Things will get out of focus fast.

Also a higher shutterspeed would have made it a bit darker IMO.

donaldjledet

O.K. Thanks I know i need to remember to change the f stop a lot of times i forget or don't double check in view finder what f setting i"m using.

Blacktop

Also under exposed shots(darker) are easier to fix in PP then over exposed shots.
If you can't get the right balance, it's preferable to have it under exposed rather then over.

PapaST

I'm kind of thinking out loud here. Doesn't the exif data say that the exposure compensation is up 2/3rds of a stop? So the camera was already overexposing. Do you remember what you metered for (spot, center weight, entire frame)? That will effect how your camera exposes the shot.

fotojack

Could have been entire frame. bad habit of not checking settings and just focusing on getting photo sharp.

Oh!! Well...there's your problem right there! Bad habits! :) You might want to pay more attention to what your settings are to get better shots. Don't be in such of a hurry. Take your time, learn the settings, and shoot with more confidence.

By the way...in the shot you're wondering about...try setting your white balance to cloudy when you're in that kind of bright sun light.