A Screech Owl Nesting Box!!!

Joseph Bautsch

I just spent the day at my wife's behest building and hanging a Screech Owl nesting box. It's made from a 12'x1"x12" white pine board. The box is 18" high x 10" wide and 10" deep. The back board is 32" long and weighs about ten pounds. We have at least two owls around the house and another two calling somewhere in the neighborhood. My wife thought it would be great to have a nesting box for them. This darn thing is big enough to charge rent. Of course she doesn't have to drag out all the tools to build it, or drag out a twelve foot ladder to hang it at least that high in a tree. So, I'm up on the ladder trying to attach the thing to the tree, she is on the ground and says "that's too high, down a little...no that's too far down up a little. Now over to the left a little...no that's too far, go back to the right". About then I'm ready to drop the whole thing on her head. I look down and she's laughing her head off. Now I know why I took up photography as a hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Bautsch

Very good point PavementPilot. I don't know AxeMan, Owls are very aggressive in protecting their nest. They will come after you if you get to close and they have sharp claws. Maybe I can get some shots with my 300mm. We will see. Also Owls are nocturnal so it may be a challenge.

Last edited:

PavementPilot

Owls have been known to swoop at the heads of people at night. The reason they believe this happens is the uncovered head of hair looks like prey in the dark. It has been suggested that people wear a hat at night near known nests.

Joseph Bautsch

Hmmm... I guess I need to read up on Owls. Right now I know nothing about them. I put the box up in a tree in our front yard, so I guess I need to get used to wearing a hat when I go out at night.

Joseph Bautsch

A photo challenge yes, but first we need to see if they will even use it. Hope so. OK, so now I find out about dive bombing owls. I put the box in a tree not that far off a walk way through the Pine Island in front of our house. Maybe they will keep unwanted guests away. I will keep everyone posted on occupancy of the box.

Carolina Photo Guy

Just a heads up Joseph, if you want to get Screech Owls to occupy right away.

A very low first and last month's rent and let them get their own utilities. Also, they usually don't mind if the

neighbors are a bunch of rats!

Hope this helps.

Pete

Joseph Bautsch

Ah... A helmet now that's a thought. Pete, I like your suggestion about the rent. We don't have rats around here that I know of. We do however have lots of chipmunks and squirrels I would like to see gone. Come to think of it there is a lady down the street that has two of these tiny yappy dogs she takes for walks and lets then do their business in other peoples yards instead of her own. If they will dive bomb those little dogs a few times I'll let then stay rent free.

Browncoat

Having grown up a country boy, I can confirm that owls are indeed aggressive near their nest. To my knowledge, only Blue Jays are more aggressive about their "turf" than owls. Heck, I've seen Blue Jays dive bomb cats and chase them away. But back to the owls...I hope you're used to having Screech Owls around, or are at least a sound sleeper, Mr. Bautsch. After all, they're not called "pleasant song" owls for a reason LOL.

Joseph Bautsch

Yea, I know about the hooting, late evening and early morning, like three am. But my wife thinks that's great. She's a night owl herself. lol...So now you know who rules this nest.

jengajoh

I think I heard a screeching owl near my yard once a few years ago, scared the crap out of me, and I hurried the dog back in thinking something was going to attack her. Anyway, maybe you could post a picture of the nesting box in the mean time?

Joseph Bautsch

OK, I'll get a shot of the box up in the tree. I still have one more little job. I'm sure every one has heard the expression, "real men don't need instructions". Well my wife says I live by that motto, pointing at the box up in the tree and says, "where is the nesting material". OK, what nesting material. Back to the instructions that clearly say, "before putting the box up add about one inch of dry leaves for nesting material". Grrrrr.... drag the ladder back out and climb back up 12' yet again to add the nesting material. My back hurts from the first time, maybe I can get my younger son to do it. Anyway I'll get the shot and post it.

Joseph Bautsch

Got the nesting material in. My son helped, he carried the ladder and set it up. That was the hard part. (Sometimes having kids is OK.)

So here is the Owl box shot:

_DSC0271.jpg

fotojack

Nice job on the box, Joseph. :) That should weather nicely over time. Let's hope it gets occupied soon (for photographic reasons, of course ;) )