Horizontal Banding

Andrewjmarino

Hello,

I got my 3100 back from the Nikon authorized repair center (Niks in Bangkok) a few weeks ago. I live and work in Cambodia.
All my images were tilted to the right. They adjusted the prism box. Until the adjustment, I was able to straighten the images in Picasa. Easy to do, but a time waster.

Well, two weeks later, I now have a new problem - horizontal banding in various shooting modes. But, it's not in every image. See below.
An email to and reply from the repair center says that it might a shutter curtain problem.

1) I doubt this camera is worth sending for repair again. The travel costs and old technology do not justify it.

2) While I decide what to buy next, is the banding problem fixable in something like Lightroom? I do not have Lightroom yet. But, I also do not know how soon I will be able to buy a new camera. I can see the eventual benefits of Lightroom, especially if I shoot more seriously which I want to do. I like learning new software.
I shoot jpeg.

3) I'm thinking about the D7100, but am concerned about its extra weight and size given that I basically live out of a backpack. Also, the lack of touchscreen for quick settings adjustments seems to be an oversight at that price point.

4) So, I'm thinking of going to a mid-high end Micro 43 route (Oympus OMD E5 or E1, Fuji XE2 or Lumix GX7)

I think my questions are:
a) should I buy Lightroom to fix (if I can) the banding problem until I can get a new camera (which may be a while considering where I live)? and

b) can anyone convince me that the 7100 is worth the extra size and weight for its supposedly great image quality? I would need to upgrade my lenses too, since I only have a slightly above average quality 18-135 3:5-5:6 Nikkor.

I'm at the point where I want to take my photography more seriously again (I used to) and get back to "thinking" about light, aperture, ISO, etc. and all the things that make photography an awesome thing to do. I even have some ideas for doing photo essays, too.

Thanks
Andrew
DSC_0082-002.JPGDSC_0237.JPGDSC_0297.JPG

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hello,

I got my 3100 back from the Nikon authorized repair center (Niks in Bangkok) a few weeks ago. I live and work in Cambodia.
All my images were tilted to the right. They adjusted the prism box. Until the adjustment, I was able to straighten the images in Picasa. Easy to do, but a time waster.

Well, two weeks later, I now have a new problem - horizontal banding in various shooting modes. But, it's not in every image. See below.
An email to and reply from the repair center says that it might a shutter curtain problem.

1) I doubt this camera is worth sending for repair again. The travel costs and old technology do not justify it.

2) While I decide what to buy next, is the banding problem fixable in something like Lightroom? I do not have Lightroom yet. But, I also do not know how soon I will be able to buy a new camera. I can see the eventual benefits of Lightroom, especially if I shoot more seriously which I want to do. I like learning new software.
I shoot jpeg.

3) I'm thinking about the D7100, but am concerned about its extra weight and size given that I basically live out of a backpack. Also, the lack of touchscreen for quick settings adjustments seems to be an oversight at that price point.

4) So, I'm thinking of going to a mid-high end Micro 43 route (Oympus OMD E5 or E1, Fuji XE2 or Lumix GX7)

I think my questions are:
a) should I buy Lightroom to fix (if I can) the banding problem until I can get a new camera (which may be a while considering where I live)? and

b) can anyone convince me that the 7100 is worth the extra size and weight for its supposedly great image quality? I would need to upgrade my lenses too, since I only have a slightly above average quality 18-135 3:5-5:6 Nikkor.

I'm at the point where I want to take my photography more seriously again (I used to) and get back to "thinking" about light, aperture, ISO, etc. and all the things that make photography an awesome thing to do. I even have some ideas for doing photo essays, too.

Thanks
Andrew

Welcome to the forum Andrew.

I can't comment on the other brand cameras but I am sure they are probably even better with your current camera and lens. The Nikon 18-135mm lens is not the best lens around. The 2nd and 3rd images looks soft to my eye. I would use f8 with that lens. I don't think you are not heavily invested with Nikon equipment so you still have that option to switch.

The D7100 has better resolution, controls and renders better overall IQ especially at higher ISO level. The decision is up to you. I am not in the business of convincing people on what to buy since my suggestion will not matter if you can't afford or not willing to spend the money to buy an upgraded camera and/or lens.

Last edited:

pedroj

Hi and welcome to the forum...

A third of your image is affected by the banding....If you think straitening was a time waster...To fix these and other images would be a real pain in the but and not a chore I would relish...

Andrewjmarino

Thanks for the thoughts.
I should have added that I "want to do it right, do it once" in terms of upgrading. A 3 to 5-year camera with a lens(es) package to last.
And, sure I have a budget in mind. $1,500 to $2,000 including lens(es).
Andrew

nickt

Although it does not have a touch screen (yikes!), the d7100 is designed for quick changing of settings without diving into the menus. With the various buttons, front and rear command wheels and the top lcd display, you should quickly learn to change most important settings quickly as you shoot.
It does look like you have a shutter problem and there is no easy way to fix it in software.

fotojack

If you're as serious about improving your photography as you say you are, lose the D3100 and just get the D7100 and enjoy the superior Image Quality and ease of operation. It will be money well spent.

Andrewjmarino

Hi,

Well, this is strange. I took about a 100 shots yesterday and there is no sign of banding. Not that I can see in any images. The problem was intermittent before.

But, I'm sure it's wishful thinking to think that my camera fixed itself. I'll take what I can for now, I guess.

DSC_0004-002.JPGDSC_0008-003.JPGDSC_0015-002.JPGDSC_0062-003.JPGDSC_0070-003.JPG

Blacktop

If you're as serious about improving your photography as you say you are, lose the D3100 and just get the D7100 and enjoy the superior Image Quality and ease of operation. It will be money well spent.

Yea, well I hear what you're saying and somewhat agree with you, but it doesn't mean you can't start to get serious with a D3100. ::what:::)

Of course if the D3100 is breaking down, I would not spend any more cash on the thing, and would just go with the D7100.

fotojack

Yea, well I hear what you're saying and somewhat agree with you, but it doesn't mean you can't start to get serious with a D3100. ::what:::)

Of course if the D3100 is breaking down, I would not spend any more cash on the thing, and would just go with the D7100.

Yup, that was my point. Why waste money on the D3100....just jump to the D7100 and get it over with. :)