Technology or Gut Feel

Dave9072

So, as mentioned in another thread I recently purchased a D7100 with the intent to replace my older D300s. However, after using the D7100 for a couple of days I'm not so sure I want to do that. Nothing wrong with the D7100 build, function or IQ - all are outstanding. It's more the feel of the body in my hands and it's operation as compared to the D300s. I keep reaching back for the D300s.

So is it a matter of just letting the D300s go and getting used to the D7100, or is there really something intangible, something beyond the basic specifications going on here.

I guess my question is - has anyone had a similar experience? Given up on, or not upgraded to the latest technology in order to stay with what works for you, what your gut tells you is the right fit?

Ignore if this has been discussed before, just working the issue through my head.

Sandpatch

I'm guessing that it might simply be a matter of familiarity and the D300s feel and predictable performance is comforting. My D5100 is my very first digital camera and I went through some of what you describe when I shelved my perfectly-good Nikon N2020, an SLR that I knew every nuance of after shooting tens of thousands of pictures with. The D5100 was different in every way.

I resolved to take several day trips, alone by myself and with the owner's manual. It was time well spent. A few years later, I now have a love for my D5100 that's as strong as the happy memories of my N2020.

D12345678

A few years ago a friend of mine who had been using a D90, purchased a D7000 and each time I asked him what he thought of the newer camera his reply was that he hadn't really used it much yet. He simply felt more comfortable with his D90. Eventually, after more than 6 months he stopped using the 90 because he was enjoying the 7000 too much. I think this is only natural. Having said that, a few years ago I also bought a Canon G1X, as an upgrade from my G12. Well six months later I sold the more advanced G1X because the old G12 simply did a few things that I liked more. Each to their own I suppose!

Horoscope Fish

So is it a matter of just letting the D300s go and getting used to the D7100, or is there really something intangible, something beyond the basic specifications going on here.

I guess my question is - has anyone had a similar experience? Given up on, or not upgraded to the latest technology in order to stay with what works for you, what your gut tells you is the right fit?
I've had similar experiences in different areas in my life and it's always boiled down to the fact that we are creatures of habit and that change is awkward and difficult. Always, always, always.

If someone took away your D300s and you shot only your D7100 an hour a day, every day, for a month and you then handled your D300s again, it would be the D300s that suddenly felt out of place.

The problem right now is, you're handling both... As long as you have the old to cling to, you'll never adjust to the new. Now, if you don't WANT to adjust to the new, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you want to change then you need to let go of the old and embrace the new. Handling the old just reinforces your comfort with it and prolongs making the new feel strange and awkward to you.

..your

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you are able to forget about the megapixel race, the D300s might be a better tool than the 7100. The camera is simply sturdier and handle differently from the D7100. If you are used to the button placement of the 300, it will take some time to get used to the 7100. I sometimes feel I get sharper shots from my 12 Mp D700 than from the D600, and the images have a little something more. I can't explain, but I just can't seem to have the guts to sell my D700.

aroy

People get used to an equipment and find it difficult to upgrade as it means learning to use it all over again.

With cameras and software I generally use the bare minimum of the capabilities, so it does not matter, as I get the hang of it pretty fast. With my cell phone I am loath to upgrade as I like what I have, got used to it and find the newer models unnecessarily complicated (may be I am lazy, and do not want to take time to learn).

Other than that if new equipment has what the old does not, and I need it, I will upgrade, else old is gold.

Dave9072

Thanks for the responses guys. Guess it's time for an update. My D300s has a new home and I'm getting used to the D7100. First real outing with it will be on June 7th at a local airshow. I'll have my D610/Sig 35mm Art combo along as well for static shots, but will mate the D7100 with an 80-400mm for the performance stuff. Looking forward to a great day of shooting!