New photographer

marco.montero

Hey all,

I'm new to both my Nikon d5200 and this forum. I have 3 lenses. 35 mm fixed, 18-55, and a 55-300. I will be traveling to England and Germany in a week so that's why I bought the 35 lens. Someone mentioned it's better for landscape and portraits and for indoors. If anyone could give me tips and recommendations for taking landscaping shots that would be great. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carguy

Hey all,

I'm new to both my Nikon d5200 and this forum. I have 3 lenses. 35 mm fixed, 18-55, and a 55-300. I will be traveling to England and Germany in a week so that's why I bought the 35 lens. Someone mentioned it's better for landscape and portraits and for indoors. If anyone could give me tips and recommendations for taking landscaping shots that would be great. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! I can tell what gear you have by your post :)

I suggest searching youtube.com for Landscape photography tips. I don't have any personally myself other than remember basic guidelines about composition, the rule of thirds, leading lines, etc.

Good Luck!

Mike D90

I personally would use the 18-55mm for the landscapes in most situations. The 35mm f/1.8 will do portraits pretty well I hear but the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 is a little better suited on a DX camera.

The 35mm is a great "street lens" or "everyday" lens I think. May not be wide enough on a crop sensor camera for most landscapes unless it calls for a vertical orientation.

BackdoorArts

Welcome.

Landscapes for a new photographer?

1. Keep the horizon straight
2. Make sure you have sufficient depth of field to get everything in focus
3. Learn and use the rule of thirds, but don't be a slave to it
4. If you can't put something interesting in your foreground, move, or add more sky
5. Only add more sky if there are nice clouds in it
6. Realize that there are good and bad days, and good and bad times for shooting landscapes.
7. If it's not a "good" time to shoot landscapes, shoot something else.

Englischdude

Welcome.

Landscapes for a new photographer?

1. Keep the horizon straight
2. Make sure you have sufficient depth of field to get everything in focus
3. Learn and use the rule of thirds, but don't be a slave to it
4. If you can't put something interesting in your foreground, move, or add more sky
5. Only add more sky if there are nice clouds in it
6. Realize that there are good and bad days, and good and bad times for shooting landscapes.
7. If it's not a "good" time to shoot landscapes, shoot something else.

and for the trip to england........ dont forget to take a waterproof bag for your gear and umbrella :D