Odd short edge on NEF (RAW) files?

PhotoBob

Is it normal for RAW files to have a 'corrupt' looking edge? First 1 or 2% of right hand edge in landscape view is nothing to do with the image I shot.Have not used NEF/RAW files before. Scuse ignorance.

PhotoBob

Eg. See right hand edge of attached.

Attachments

• 610_1556_PM-001.jpg
    610_1556_PM-001.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 149

nickt

I don't know photomatrix. Maybe some of the guys here that use it will know. I have Picasa on my machine. I don't use it anymore, but it does not show that bar on my raw files. Do you have Nikon viewnx on your machine? Could the file be corrupt? Two different programs doing that seems bad. Great shot by the way.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Eg. See right hand edge of attached.

I have the same thing out of Photomatix when I treat HDR. I don't know where it comes from, but I suspected Photomatix to be the culprit since it doesn't happen whenever I do HDR with Photoshop or the Nik plug-in. It only happens with my D600 though, not the D700 nor the D7000.

nickt

I just opened Picasa and it found a whole bunch of new NEF files and I clicked on one while it was still importing others. I was surprised to see the bar! And I was just as surprised to see it go away after a few seconds. It happened on another and by then it was caught up on importing and they all look normal as soon as I open them now.

PhotoBob

Thank you nickt glad you liked it :D

Transpires the dodgy images are 6080px wide but the camera produces images with a max width of 6016px. So there's a nice round binary number of 64 extra columns present. I'm guessing it's something to do with data storage blocks and a bad descriptor.

Whatever it is I shall crop it off and not worry about it.

Thanks all!