How can I tell the settings of a pic (shutter, ap, ISO) after the pic was taken?

yadot000

Hi, I have Nikon D5200 and I am trying to find out how I can tell what the settings were when the picture was taken. I can see the date and time of when the picture was taken, but can I search somewhere on my camera (or when I download the picture to a computer) what the shutter speed was set to?, the ISO? or the aperture? when the picture was taken?

Horoscope Fish

What you're looking for is the EXIF data. You can see it, in-camera, by using the four-way button on the back of your camera when reviewing shots. Go into review mode, and click up on the four way button, this will scroll you through different view-modes, one of which will show you the EXIF data for that shot.

To view the EXIF data on your computer you'll need something like IRFanview to show you the data. There are lots of other applications that will do the same IRFanview just happens to be awesome and free.

carguy

Fish hit on the 'in cameara' method.

Once uploaded to a computer, EXIF data can also be displayed on a Windows machine by right-clicking the image and selecting Properties > Details.
Not sure where if you are on a MAC.

Location of image is only available if GPS was available/enabled on the camera/device. I don't use it personally.

yadot000

Thank you so much carguy and horoscope fish. I reviewed a pic from my camera and pressed the UP button on my four-way button. Nothing happened, no extra info displayed. It's a brand new camera for me, so, I figured I had to set something up first in the MENU.

When in MENU, I selected PLAYBACK MENU, then PLAYBACK DISPLAY OPTIONS, and that's where one has the options to show various data from "shooting data" to "overview" to "RGB histogram". I selected "shooting data, overview, and highlights".

I exited MENU, viewed a picture via my camera, then when I pressed the UP button on the four-way button, everything I wanted to see... ISO, shutter, f... was displayed along side my picture.

THANK YOU!!! slowly, but surely getting a hang at this :)

Horoscope Fish

Thank you so much carguy and horoscope fish.
You're welcome...

I reviewed a pic from my camera and pressed the UP button on my four-way button. Nothing happened, no extra info displayed. It's a brand new camera for me, so, I figured I had to set something up first in the MENU.

When in MENU, I selected PLAYBACK MENU, then PLAYBACK DISPLAY OPTIONS, and that's where one has the options to show various data from "shooting data" to "overview" to "RGB histogram". I selected "shooting data, overview, and highlights".

I exited MENU, viewed a picture via my camera, then when I pressed the UP button on the four-way button, everything I wanted to see... ISO, shutter, f... was displayed along side my picture.
Gah! I'd forgotten those options needed to be configured... Glad you got it figured out on your own.

Bonus Pro Tip: Since you said this is a brand new camera I'm going to suggest you go back into your menus, select the Shooting Menu (Camera icon) and then go into "Picture Control Settings". Highlight whatever option you use here, like "Standard" or "Landscape", then click right one time. Drop down the "Sharpening" setting and move the slider bar from the abnormally low factory-default setting to +7. I think you'll find you're much happier with the Sharpness increased like this. I used to shoot with a D5100 and I remember using "Landscape" a lot with +7 Sharpening. Another good recipe is "Standard" with +1 to Saturation and +7 Sharpening.