3rd party batteries?

Tommyjerzboy

Is it worth buying 3rd party batteries for my D5300, I have purchased wasabi batteries for my gopro and see they also make wasabi batteries for Nikon, I also see they have vivitar 2300mah batteries for the D5300, wondering if they last a lot longer then the oem? I also read somewhere Nikon had a firmware upgrade that affected something with 3rd party batteries? Can anyone give me guidance on this area? TY in advance. Also I just purchased my D5300.

Whiskeyman

The only time I ever purchased third-party power form my D90, they would charge, but wouldn't work in the camera. They weren't Wasabi branded, though. So, I only spring for Nikon brand batteries, now; they aren't that expensive! Caveat Emptor!!!

WM

WhiteLight

Yes Nikon's firmware updates breaks support for non nikon cameras
not sure if it's done for the 5300 as well.

but honestly, why would you want to tae a chance with them?
they may work well & at most times not give any problems too, but if it does, things can get fried
and am not sure if nikon would honour any warranty claims if problems arise after using third party batteries

WayneF

I think Wasabi may be the good ones. I have a couple for my D800, and they work fine. The one thing is that the camera keeps a count of how many pictures on the battery charge, which is lost (reset to zero) when the camera powers off, so apparently this should be stored in the battery, and it isnt. But they report charge status fine, and work fine, and don't explode or anything. :) No issues, half price.

Mike D90

I picked up a new Opteka 2400ma for my D90 last week and I notice no difference between it and the other Nikon brand that came with the camera. Not had it long enough to compare charge life.

When I bought my D7100 recently it came with an extra battery. It was the Watson EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.0V, 1800mAh)
I can't tell the difference in it and the Nikon battery. I think it is like the cables for the iPhone 5s. Off brand cables won't work unless the off brand pays a licensing fee then they get the chip that allows them to work. I would bet that is what Nikon is doing.

The Watson EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack works with the same cameras as the Nikon EN-EL15. This replacement battery pack features a capacity of 1800mAh and 7.0V of output power. Small and lightweight, lithium-ion batteries can be charged or discharged at any time without developing memory effect.
Compatible CamerasNikon:
  • 1 V1
  • D600
  • D7000
  • D7100
  • D800
  • D800E

Tommyjerzboy

Thanks for all the feedback I'm also looking at the vivitar batteries too,
I think they are rated at 2300mah which should last longer then an oem before needing to be recharged any of you have these? Any problems after the new firmware update? Notice any difference at all compared to oem?

RRRoger

I have upgraded my D5300 firmware
My third party batteries still work well in the Menke Grip but not alone.

carguy

It's been my personal experience third party batteries in electronic devices (cameras, mobile phones, etc) do not work as well as OEM. Don't hold a charge as long, take longer to charge. I only use OEM these days.

Tommyjerzboy

So I was searching and found a 3rd party battery with a wopping 2600mah by a company called high voltage technologies does anyone have any experience with these? Should last way longer if it really is 2600mah

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I put my trust in the OEM batteries...if there is a problem, Nikon will instiitute a recall for the bad ones and replace them at no cost to you. I've never heard of 3rd party vendors doing the same.

Horoscope Fish

So I was searching and found a 3rd party battery with a wopping 2600mah by a company called high voltage technologies does anyone have any experience with these? Should last way longer if it really is 2600mah
No experience with this particular brand but there are some good reviews for them on Amazon. I've always used Wasabi batteries, personally, but if you buy through Amazon you know you won't have issues doing a return if you determine you're not happy with them.

RRRoger

I put my trust in the OEM batteries...if there is a problem, Nikon will instiitute a recall for the bad ones and replace them at no cost to you. I've never heard of 3rd party vendors doing the same.

Main reason for a grip was to get the lens up off the TriPod mount so I could spin the dials.
I bought two 3rd Party batteries to use with my 3rd Part grip on my D5300.
They all work perfectly together and so cheap, I would just throw them away if there is a problem.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Main reason for a grip was to get the lens up off the TriPod mount so I could spin the dials.
I bought two 3rd Party batteries to use with my 3rd Part grip on my D5300.
They all work perfectly together and so cheap, I would just throw them away if there is a problem.

I have read that Wasabi batteries were as good as Nikon's, but I'm stickin' with the cotton pickin' Nikons. I see your logic though, and everyone has differing views on this issue. The most important thing is good IQ. Do what works for you. By the way, Nikon's batteries are too daggone expensive.

RRRoger

It's all realitive.
The Nikon brand batteries are not only the best but comparitively cheap on a D800.
On a D5300 it is the other way around.

Horoscope Fish

It's all realitive.
The Nikon brand batteries are not only the best but comparitively cheap on a D800.
On a D5300 it is the other way around.
The D800 uses the same EN-EL15 that my D7100 uses and runs $47 on Amazon. The Wasabi "EN-EL15" sells for $22. I'll let you do the math.

RRRoger

The D800 uses the same EN-EL15 that my D7100 uses and runs $47 on Amazon. The Wasabi "EN-EL15" sells for $22. I'll let you do the math.

I was talking about relative to the cost of the Camera body not other batteries.
Also the aftermarket batteries for the D5300 seem to outperform the Nikon ones.
I have not found any as good as the Nikon EN-EL15

DraganDL

My 3rd party battery for D7000 (EN EL15) reportedly has a capacity of 2550mAH and consists of "Sanyo Li-ion cells" (as opposed to the "original" that is declared as 1900mAH). Third party works good, no problem with the original either;)...