D600 or D700

mikew_RIP

After saying many times i couldn't see me going FF ime giving it serious thought,my birding will stay with the D7000 but want to give macro more of a push this year,i have the D5100 which as hard as i try i cant get to like it, so thought i would part with it and the 18-55 and 55-300.
First i will only have the 105mm sigma macro for it but that will be the main area any way and will look to add a 35mm,the D600 and D 700 look to be the two that will fall into my price range secondhand, not over concerned about the oil issue as i would get good support if i buy from my local Nikon agent.
The D600 looks on paper to be the best one but if i intend to use the full frame very little cropping whats peoples thoughts on the D700.

Thanks

SteveH

I've never used either the 600 or the 700, but I know my brother has 2 D700's for his wedding photography, and they have been very good

BackdoorArts

If you're looking to go FX for macro then you're looking for resolution, and I'd give that to the D600 due to the sensor improvements and the extra MP's. I've not shot with the D700, but if you can't opt for the D800 (my macro camera) then the 600 is a fine choice.

One option, the D800 in DX mode gives you exactly the coverage of the D7000, so if you can up your budget selling the DX camera you'll have the best of both worlds. My D800 is used primarily for birding, macro, studio and anything I need "reach" on. The D600 is my everyday shooter otherwise.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Mike, the D600 is a terrific camera but one that is a gamble. If you are considering buying one since Nikon is now fixing or replacing it, please know that most likely you wouldn't walk away with a D610 as a replacement if you run into repair problems (unless you pay the difference in price). Although Nikon says it will replace a D600 with a new camera, it doesn't specify how that works. Since I received a refund for my D600, please know that I had to submit my receipt, and they reimbursed me for its cost. I bought mine through B&H, and the way the receipt was written (it came with freebies), I only received $1889 for the camera...not $1999 that I was billed. The freebies were itemized with dollar amounts listed. The receipt was written that way BECAUSE I returned the first D600 within the initial 30-day period. B&H stepped up and credited me the difference which I applied towards the replacement cost of my D610 so I was fortunate to recover the extra $100+ that I would have lost.

My point in telling you this is that I *think* Nikon will only replace a D600 with a camera that costs what the owner paid out of pocket. If you buy a used/refurbished D600, the only new replacement camera for that price would be a DX body. Most likely a D600 owner would have to pay the full difference in price if a D610 (or more expensive body) is desired if they bought a D600 used/refurbished.

mikew_RIP

Mike, the D600 is a terrific camera but one that is a gamble. If you are considering buying one since Nikon is now fixing or replacing it, please know that most likely you wouldn't walk away with a D610 as a replacement if you run into repair problems (unless you pay the difference in price). Although Nikon says it will replace a D600 with a new camera, it doesn't specify how that works. Since I received a refund for my D600, please know that I had to submit my receipt, and they reimbursed me for its cost. I bought mine through B&H, and the way the receipt was written (it came with freebies), I only received $1889 for the camera...not $1999 that I was billed. The freebies were itemized with dollar amounts listed. The receipt was written that way BECAUSE I returned the first D600 within the initial 30-day period. B&H stepped up and credited me the difference which I applied towards the replacement cost of my D610 so I was fortunate to recover the extra $100+ that I would have lost.

My point in telling you this is that I *think* Nikon will only replace a D600 with a camera that costs what the owner paid out of pocket. If you buy a used/refurbished D600, the only new replacement camera for that price would be a DX body. Most likely a D600 owner would have to pay the full difference in price if a D610 (or more expensive body) is desired if they bought a D600 used/refurbished.

Your last part does concern me,not that i would expect a D610 if things went wrong but just thought they would sot the 600 out.

mikew_RIP

If you're looking to go FX for macro then you're looking for resolution, and I'd give that to the D600 due to the sensor improvements and the extra MP's. I've not shot with the D700, but if you can't opt for the D800 (my macro camera) then the 600 is a fine choice.

One option, the D800 in DX mode gives you exactly the coverage of the D7000, so if you can up your budget selling the DX camera you'll have the best of both worlds. My D800 is used primarily for birding, macro, studio and anything I need "reach" on. The D600 is my everyday shooter otherwise.

So your saying this is a case of more being better,one reason for my question was i had read that more MP wasn't always better but never fully understood the technical explanations as to why

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Mike, my intention is not to dissuade you or anyone else from buying a used/refurbished D600 based on the news that Nikon is now repairing/replacing them. I only want people to know up front how I *think* the process will work. Many people here had excellent service results when they sent in their D600's. Mine had some kind of issue where the spots were visible with the VERY first shot after being repaired each of its three times. Either the low pass filter was stained beyond repair or they inserted it backwards so the affected side was not able to be cleaned. I don't know.

Both the D600 and D700 are excellent cameras. Doesn't the D700 have a very similar sensor to the D3? Maybe you could ask others about the strongest pros/cons of each model's macro capabilities. If macro is your primary reason for wanting full frame, cropping would be my biggest concern. Compare macro shots taken with both cameras and let that help steer your decision. If it was me, I'd be checking out that D700 BIG TIME! ;) It's an awesome camera! :)

BackdoorArts

So your saying this is a case of more being better,one reason for my question was i had read that more MP wasn't always better but never fully understood the technical explanations as to why

I'm not saying "more is better" necessarily. What I'm reacting to is your reasons for wanting a full frame camera, primarily "giving macro a push". Some types of photography lend themselves to higher resolution, and macro and wildlife are the two most common. So, if you're looking to go full frame for macro then my recommendation is to seriously consider more MP's, both for detail and for resolution after cropping. Given that your other real interest is bird photography, something like the D800 makes lots of sense as a single camera as it gives you at least the resolution you're getting now for birding (assuming a DX crop - anything more than that is gravy), plus lots of resolution for macro.

Now, if you were schizophrenic with your subject matter as much as I am then I would say that it might pay you to go with the D600/610 as I believe the bigger pixels on that sensor work for a lot of other types of photography while avoiding huge file sizes.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
In light of what was posted in another thread, I will simply suggest you ask the store to do a wet clean on the sensor then take some test shots (using your own memory card). If there isn't a problem, you will be good to go because if any spots appear, you can send it in for a shutter replacement. It's if the spots cannot be removed by a wet cleaning that I would exercise caution.

TedG954

I've never shot a D600, but I moved from a D700 to a D800. Now, I believe I could have been just as happy, with money in my pocket, had I just kept the D700. It is an excellent camera. Very sturdy with a professional build and feel. I'm sure more D700 owners with jump in, but I'd recommend the D700.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I own both 600 and 700. The D700 is just a wonderful camera that just work great. I only got the 600 for it's size, weight and battery compatibility with my D7000, thinking that I'd sell the 700. But I can't sell it. It produces so great files (smaller) with GREAT color depth. If I was to choose between these twos, I'd take the 700. Though the 600 has the Quiet mode which I like very much too.

If your computer is up to date and can handle bigger files, 600. If not the 700 won't deceive you for sure.

ShootRaw

Get the D610 over the 700..It has better technology and better Iso capabilities for low light shooting...(more detail in the shadows)

mikew_RIP

I own both 600 and 700. The D700 is just a wonderful camera that just work great. I only got the 600 for it's size, weight and battery compatibility with my D7000, thinking that I'd sell the 700. But I can't sell it. It produces so great files (smaller) with GREAT color depth. If I was to choose between these twos, I'd take the 700. Though the 600 has the Quiet mode which I like very much too.

If your computer is up to date and can handle bigger files, 600. If not the 700 won't deceive you for sure.

i5
8gb ram
64bit
Think i can double the ram

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
i5
8gb ram
64bit
Think i can double the ram

Computer wise, you should be OK with either.

But don't let newer technology blind you. The D700 never had anything wrong reported. It's been one of if not the best DSLR ever made. D600 is another thing if we rely on rumors and reports. Let's say I have to were clean my D600 more often than my 700. And I'm always impressed with the D700 results.

Just go to your store, bring a CF card and a SD card, shoot the same scene with both in raw. Then go home and work these files on your computer, and have prints made. I think if you go pixel peeping at 100%, you might think the D600 files are bigger and sharper, but when you print, have prints made at a size you would use normally and compare the results. Then, you'll be able to take the decision that will be yours.