Which exact AF config do you guys use for wildlife?

SkvLTD

Started playing around with all the options today, but want to get some opinions from all you vets. Clearly only single point is not enough, especially for birds, and the full-on 39 points seems to make it miss the subject if I'm panning through obstacles. Then there's 9 point and 21 (I think).

So what do you guys usually use?

Horoscope Fish

I use 9 points as well, generally. That's enough for things I can logically track even if moving relatively fast.

For something I know will be moving fast, and erratically, I use 21. But then I don't shoot a lot of critters either...

wev

Contributor
I have tried 9 for BIF, but never seem to achieve a lock, which do (at least some of the time), using 1. Entirely possible it has more to do with the operator than the camera. . .

Moab Man

AF-S for relatively stationary birds and animals.

AF-C for active animals or birds in flight.

Whichever I am in I keep a mental note going in my head of what to do to toggle back and forth quickly in the event of a change.

I shot a lot of birds in flight last week and I had U2 set up for BIF. AF-C 51 point. I got probably 75% or more in focus with my 70-300 The ones I missed were my fault since I could not move quick enough to get the bird in my field of view.