Hello from VA

T21

Hey guys,

My T21. I've been looking to get into photography for a little while now but haven't had much time since I work part time and go to school full time. I'm currently looking to buy I guess you could say my first DSLR body. I had a d5200 about a year ago but didn't keep it for long since I didn't have much time to use it and didn't just want it to sit there and collect dust. Anyways, I'm trying to decide on which body would be best for my needs. I've been looking to get either the d5300 or the d7000. Along side those I'm trying to decided which lens I should buy to start off with rather than just getting the kit lens. I've been looking at the 35mm or the 50mm. Hopefully someone can help me with my decision on which body and lens to start off with. Also any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks!

T21

T21

sorry I completely forgot to add what I want to shoot. I'm pretty much still a huge beginner and I want a camera I'll be able to have and hopefully not need to upgrade for a little while. I'm planning on mostly just shooting street shots and everyday life. My buddies and I also like to go to a lot of car shows so I think it would be pretty cool to be able to shoot nice pictures during the show and possibly some rolling shots while we drive.

Deezey

Welcome to Nikonites! I would get the D7000 and wait for it! The kit lens 18-105! Then get the monies for the 50 1.8D or G. That will give you a great walk around lens and a great portrait lens. Then start learning.

Then when you get an idea of what you love to shoot....increase kit from there. Don't get sucked into the "you need expensive kit to get awesome results.". Kit lenses are fantastic budget lenses. They are far from the crap lenses you hear most people call them.

DraganDL

Just like Deezey suggested. As for an "all-around" lens, you can consider these options (instead of 18-105): 16-85mm (the best in it's category, but somewhat expensive); 18-135mm (in some aspects even better than 18-105mm, but lacks VR, though it might not be so important to many photographers).
And, since it will probably be D7000, you've got even more high quality options (regarding lenses) among the full frame lenses designated as "AF-D" (they do not have built-in electronic motors, but they do not need to have them because the auto focus mechanism is using the camera body's internal motor drive). These lenses are nowadays quite affordable.

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Where are you living in Virginia? I am from Roanoke....welcome to Nikonites!! I'd say get the D7100 + 18-140 kit lens. They have great deals on that one at Adorama. Cheers.