Trying to decide what camera

Brbolton77

I was looking at buying the d90 or the d5300, I've been doing research and didn't know which body would be suited better for me since I won't be doing much video the 5300 didn't seem to be a good choice but the d90 is also a little out dated. My main focus will be everyday use not a specific field of photography. Any advice would be great

singlerosa_RIP

D5300. My son recently bought one and it's very nice. Only negative (vs D90) is lack of dual command wheels and a couple of buttons. Pluses include new technology (D90 is 6 years old), twice the resolution, articulating LCD, WiFi, higher ISO capabilities, better video and on and on.

Blacktop

The D90 has an in body focus motor and the 5300 does not. Means older AF Nikkor lenses will auto focus on the D90 but will only manual focus on the D5300.
I don't know what your budget is, but a refurb or slightly used D7100 for around a 1000 dollars or less would be a better choice in my humble opinion.

webspaceman

I have had a D90 for the last 6 years. If it's just day to day use, the D90 has all you need. (With s good gladh)??? It'still good camera even now.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Deezey

I would also go D7000 or up. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my D90. And while it is a great camera, it is a bit long in the tooth. The 5300 is good. But the lack of focus motor is a huge minus for me at least.

singlerosa_RIP

No focus motor means you can't buy older lenses. If you don't care about that and want to stick to your original choices, go with the 5300. You'll find when you ask a question on a forum, you'll get as many answers as there are answers, plus MORE. If your question is really "what camera should I buy", maybe you should go to your local camera store and let them help you decide.

fotojack

Even though I'm a big fan of the D90, I'd also suggest you look at the D7000 or D7100. But...seeing as you said it's not for any particular type of photography, and video is not a concern, the D90 would be my #1 choice. It's a veritable workhorse...and just because it's "older" technology, it's technology that still works great! Spend whatever extra money you have on better lenses and you'll never be sorry.

skene

When it comes down to it the D90 is still a great camera. You don't need to be swayed by pixel counters as I'm pretty sure you have no intentions of printing up billboard sized photos. If you are trying to get a good understanding on how the more level up cameras work the D90 is a good stepping stool before you get too committed and you can save money and puchase better glass to go with it.

Mike D90

I agree with all that has been said already. I own a D90, by choice after much research, and I couldn't be happier except for one thing; I would love the higher megapixel sensor of the D7000/D7100 in some cases.

I could not get by without the ability to use the older AF lenses so my choices would, and will always be, between the D90, D7000 or D7100 bodies.

Since I don't need video and the ability to print above smallposter size images, the D90 is absolutely perfect for me and I love its body size. It feels like a large camera which is what I wanted.

Look through the dedicated camera body forums here and see some of the images produced by each camera and see if that helps you out. Tell us more about what exact type of photography you are most interested in as well and that will help us to help you.

aroy

I would always go for a current generation model. D5300 has the latest sensor an a fast processor, though it may not be as rugged as the D90.

I have no idea of the costs where you are, but here in India the D5300 sits in between the D90 and D7100, so if finances are not a problem, I would get a D7100. Even better would be a D610, as then you would be able to shoot wide with some low cost but excellent lenses.