D300s body

Geoffc

Hi guys,

I am looking for a D300s body. ;) I am located in the US.

Replay here of PM me.

Thanks.

As long time owners of the D300/s bodies my wife and I really liked these cameras as they were really future proofed when released and provided great service for over 5 years. However, time moves on and we now use the D7100 for our DX requirements and the D800 for FX. The sensor in the D7100 is simply in a different league and I would suggest that you give this serious consideration before purchasing. Particularly it is much better when the ISO has to go up and it obviously has all those extra pixels. Whilst the body is not quite the same build as the D300s, the improvements more than make up for this.

everprentice

Thanks for your replies and your interest to help.

I know the D7100 has awesome technology packed in it but, having owned different bodies in the past I have figured out what I really want in a body. Here are my points:

1. I'm a cheapskate. When everybody was shooting D200 and D80, I was wielding a D40x and a D40. :D
2. I will take the reliable and tested D300s against the new D7100. At one point the D300s was cutting edge.
3. For a good price, I can have two used D300s bodies rather than one brand new D7100.
4. Glasses before bodies. (Been trying to do a "bros before hos" styling with this but to no avail ;))
5. Lastly, the best camera you can ever have is the one in your hand, and the best lens is the one on your camera.

Of course new technologies outperform old ones but despite that "edge" hundreds of thousands of images taken by older cameras still blow me away. Moreover, we all agree that the camera alone can't make a photograph.

Bottomline, a D300s can do what a D7100 can do more than half the time. With my use, the only thing I would need a D7100 for is high ISO imagery. For this reason, at least for me, the cost of a D7100 outweighs the benefit of owning one by a huge margin. :eek:

Again, many thanks to all those replies.

And steveh, this is the "want to buy" section of the forum.

Geoffc

Thanks for your replies and your interest to help.

I know the D7100 has awesome technology packed in it but, having owned different bodies in the past I have figured out what I really want in a body. Here are my points:

1. I'm a cheapskate. When everybody was shooting D200 and D80, I was wielding a D40x and a D40. :D
2. I will take the reliable and tested D300s against the new D7100. At one point the D300s was cutting edge.
3. For a good price, I can have two used D300s bodies rather than one brand new D7100.
4. Glasses before bodies. (Been trying to do a "bros before hos" styling with this but to no avail ;))
5. Lastly, the best camera you can ever have is the one in your hand, and the best lens is the one on your camera.

Of course new technologies outperform old ones but despite that "edge" hundreds of thousands of images taken by older cameras still blow me away. Moreover, we all agree that the camera alone can't make a photograph.

Bottomline, a D300s can do what a D7100 can do more than half the time. With my use, the only thing I would need a D7100 for is high ISO imagery. For this reason, at least for me, the cost of a D7100 outweighs the benefit of owning one by a huge margin. :eek:

Again, many thanks to all those replies.

And steveh, this is the "want to buy" section of the forum.

You seem to have a good argument for the 300s option. As you rightly say it took great pictures for years when it was the top DX body and will take just as good pictures today. If I look back over the last few years some of my favourite pictures are from the 300s rather than my 800/7100. You also have some advantages such as the ability to take loads of pictures before the buffer fills which you can't do on the 7100.

You will really enjoy the camera and know you are holding one of the legendary Nikon bodies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

everprentice

Thanks for your insights. And yes the first time I held a D300s+grip, I was blown away by the fps and the buffer even while shooting RAW. Felt right.

Typed with two fingers on a bright shiny doodad.