Remote & AF on prime lens

I have my prime lens 50mm 1.8D on my D7k body, when I use the remote however, it doesn't auto focus and takes a very blurry picture. Is there a way to get it to auto focus so I can use my remote when not near the camera?

480sparky

Check the manual. There's certain settings that will prevent AF when using the ML-L3.

Focusing in Remote Control Mode
The camera will not adjust focus in remote mirror-up mode or when continuous-servo
autofocus is selected; note however that if any autofocus mode is selected, you can focus by
pressing the camera shutter-release button halfway before shooting (pressing the button all
the way down will not release the shutter). If auto- or single-servo autofocus is selected or
the camera is in live view in delayed or quick-response remote mode, the camera will
automatically adjust focus before shooting; if the camera is unable to focus in viewfinder
photography, it will return to stand-by without releasing the shutter.

Dave_W

The Dude
I suspect you have your camera set on release priority instead of focus priority. Go into your autofocus menu and change it from release to focus and I'll bet that will fix the problem. For whatever reason Nikon puts the AF-C default at release priority. I always change mine to release/focus or just focus depending on which U program (A,B,C,D on my D800) I'm setting it for.

nickt

Yes, probably in release priority like Dave said. I just ran into this while experimenting with back button focus. Set menu A-1 or A-2 to focus priority, depending if you are using af-c or af-s.