Sunpak RD2000 Digital TTL Low-Profile Shoe Mount Flash

skene

I'm sure that the flash itself would only be slightly better than the pop up flash that you currently have. I guess it all boils down to what you are trying to accomplish with the flash. If you are just looking to be able to bounce light, then it should work for you. However do keep in mind that there are limitations with a small short flash such as this... If you are using a long lens with hood, the lighting may get blocked by the hood in a straight forward situation. If you are bouncing the light, then this would not have so much of an effect on the photo. Maybe purchase the light try it out see if you like it, then base your decision on that.
Otherwise you may want to search elsewhere for a small light that does not have such a low profile, but will fit within your budget.

Maybe this may work for you Targus Flash this would raise the flash above the profile of the sunpak and would probably not be as affected by longer lens configuration. If you can spend a bit more I would also suggest looking into a manual flash like a Yongnuo.

HTH.

DraganDL

From what I gathered, this Targus is NOT a TTL, whereas the Sunpak is. Also, some people reported that that Targus is made of a low quality plastic so it's shoe mount easily brakes. And they both have the same guide number (20). Sunpak's firmware is flashable (it's software can be upgraded to meet the requirements of the newer cameras).
But just like "skene" noticed, if you will use it with the extremely thick lenses (or lens hoods), an upright positioned flash would do better.
SUNPAK�FƒTƒ“ƒpƒbƒN
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Targus Digital TG-DL20N Pro Electronic Flash for Nikon DSLR Cameras

Flash Pot

Thanks.

I am looking for an alternative to the Nikon SB-400, which seems to be a favorite among many posters here. This is a budget driven purchase.

weebee

I have this flash and for the size and cost it does a respectful job. I've used it to 25' with great results.

DSCN0578.jpg