Virtual Horizon in my Viewfinder... Nice!

Horoscope Fish

I've got several thousand clicks on my D7100 and, maybe I'm a total idiot but...

I just discovered the option to turn on the "Virtual Horizon" in the viewfinder and I'm pretty stoked about it, simple as it is. I actually kind of chuckled when I first saw it, but it'll work! Feeling a bit foolish, but excited too.

Dave_W

The Dude
haha! That's one of my favorite "bells and whistles". There has been a handful of times that I didn't agree with it but for the most part it's pretty accurate.

slowpoke

I've got several thousand clicks on my D7100 and, maybe I'm a total idiot but...

I just discovered the option to turn on the "Virtual Horizon" in the viewfinder and I'm pretty stoked about it, simple as it is. I actually kind of chuckled when I first saw it, but it'll work! Feeling a bit foolish, but excited too.

I felt the same way my first time too.lol

Jonathan

Does that enable you to make sure your shot is level? I've seen it but kind of passed it by (and one of the most frequent posts I do is levelling my snaps).

yauman

My Fn button is programmed for it! Love it - I'm a total basket-case when it comes to keeping things level or vertical (either my eyes or my brain is crooked :grumpy: ) and has been quite dependent on the virtual horizon when I don't want to throw away too many pixel straightening out crops in post-production.

Vixen

I liked the grid in my D80. I used to have it over my viewfinder permanently. I don't really like the short lines on the D7100. I don't find them anywhere near as useful as I often "lose" them in the scenery. Is it possible to turn them on permanently? I can only see how to set them in live view, and I don't use that.

The virtual horizon was not as good as I was thinking but will be useful all the same.

Horoscope Fish

haha! That's one of my favorite "bells and whistles". There has been a handful of times that I didn't agree with it but for the most part it's pretty accurate.
Going to give it a whirl... I can use a little help with keeping things level.

Does that enable you to make sure your shot is level? I've seen it but kind of passed it by (and one of the most frequent posts I do is levelling my snaps).
Yes. Both horizontally and vertically it seems. :D

I liked the grid in my D80. I used to have it over my viewfinder permanently. I don't really like the short lines on the D7100. I don't find them anywhere near as useful as I often "lose" them in the scenery. Is it possible to turn them on permanently? I can only see how to set them in live view, and I don't use that.
You can turn the viewfinder grid-lines off in the Custom Settings menu, I forget where...

Vixen

Going to give it a whirl... I can use a little help with keeping things level.

Yes. Both horizontally and vertically it seems. :D

You can turn the viewfinder grid-lines off in the Custom Settings menu, I forget where...

I don't want to turn them off. I'd like them bigger and better. I would like to know if you can have what they call the "Framing Guide" (which were called gridlines on the D80 IIRC) on in the eyepiece viewfinder at all. I found a line crossing the entire viewfinder much more useful than the D7100's short grid lines.

yauman

The virtual horizon was not as good as I was thinking but will be useful all the same.

The importance is that whenever you change the angle of your crop not in increments of 90 degs, you throw away a lot of pixels (I know with 24mp, we can afford to throw a lot away!) so not having to make any angular adjustment during post-production is a good thing.

There is a grid in the D710 viewfinder. Turn it on under "Custom Setting Menu" (the "pencil") and selection "d" - Shooting/display -> d2 "Viewfinder grid display" - turn it on.

Now if you want different grid lines, you can buy this (scroll to the bottom and select different "composition markings" which will give you different lines etched on the glass.)

Horoscope Fish

I don't want to turn them off. I'd like them bigger and better. I would like to know if you can have what they call the "Framing Guide" (which were called gridlines on the D80 IIRC) on in the eyepiece viewfinder at all. I found a line crossing the entire viewfinder much more useful than the D7100's short grid lines.
Durrr... I misread your post.

I don't like the short lines either but that's what we get with the '7100. The D80's were something like this, no?

NikonD90_viewfinder.gif

SteveH

Have a look at the virtual horizon when in live view... It's much more what you will have been expecting - A bit like the VH in a plane!

I have it programmed to one of my buttons and use it a lot, especially with landscapes etc where the horizon isn't flat.

Vixen

Have a look at the virtual horizon when in live view... It's much more what you will have been expecting - A bit like the VH in a plane!

I have it programmed to one of my buttons and use it a lot, especially with landscapes etc where the horizon isn't flat.

I can't use live view. I think a combination of strong sunlight and the grease/sweat off my face, and poor eyesight (yes, I have new glasses on order) makes it impossible to even see, let alone use to do anything with. I don't like it anyway. I like my eye to the eyepiece :D

Now....if you can get that into the view thru the eyepiece maybe I would be happy. They cannot make a camera that suits every single person realistically. For those of us that don't/can't like the tools provided, we have to find another way I think :D

Vixen

The importance is that whenever you change the angle of your crop not in increments of 90 degs, you throw away a lot of pixels (I know with 24mp, we can afford to throw a lot away!) so not having to make any angular adjustment during post-production is a good thing.

There is a grid in the D710 viewfinder. Turn it on under "Custom Setting Menu" (the "pencil") and selection "d" - Shooting/display -> d2 "Viewfinder grid display" - turn it on.

Now if you want different grid lines, you can buy this (scroll to the bottom and select different "composition markings" which will give you different lines etched on the glass.)

Yes, I use that already. My beef is that the lines do not go all the way across the view. They are a little too short for my personal taste.

Oh well, I guess I have to make do. I rarely need to straighten shots, so they are helping but I just liked the D80 system better :D