AF-ON button

Scott Murray

I have decided that I am going to 'learn' how to use the AF-ON button on my D800E, it should allow me to switch between AF-S and AF-C on the fly in milli seconds. Lets see how I go, I may even have to set my D600 up the same way as to not get confused or wonder why when pressing the button down half way it doesn't focus lol.

Lawrence

Not a bad idea to go through each button individually and master it. The ones I have discovered so far all seem pretty useful. :)

BackdoorArts

I use it all the time, and I switched my D600 a while back as well. My complaint is that the D600, once set, will not allow you to use both the front and rear buttons to focus and after 2 1/2 months I'm still occasionally missing a shot because my thumb isn't 100% conditioned to performing focus duties. But it does make things so much easier in cold weather conditions when gloves prevent sufficient "feel" for the 1/2 press.

nickt

I know that you know how to set it up. This is more of a 'just do it' motivational article with some nature and wildlife examples.
How to use Nikon's AF-ON and back button autofocus | Nikon Rumors

Its been a long winter here, but when I poke my head outside, I try it. I've gotten confused a few times already when I picked up the camera for a quick unplanned shot. I am at a point where my fingers get even more confused when I go back to normal so I am going to give it a good try when things warm up and see if I can get fully conditioned.

Dave_W

The Dude
I don't know if it's just in my head or not but it almost seems to me the AF button produces a slightly better focus than depressing the shutter release. While I realize this doesn't make any sense nor have I spent the time to prove whether or not they produce different focuses, it does seem more ergonomic to use the button over the shutter release. It's also a little easier to use when you're wearing gloves (something I'm only know beginning to appreciate).

Scott Murray

I don't know if it's just in my head or not but it almost seems to me the AF button produces a slightly better focus than depressing the shutter release. While I realize this doesn't make any sense nor have I spent the time to prove whether or not they produce different focuses, it does seem more ergonomic to use the button over the shutter release. It's also a little easier to use when you're wearing gloves (something I'm only know beginning to appreciate).
It does take some getting used to! Oh and if you have the battery grip be sure to program that AF-ON as the same other wise in Portrait mode you get stumped ;)

singlerosa_RIP

I've been using BBF for a couple of years and love it. I like being able to focus and recompose without any additional steps. Only negative is handing my camera to someone else and having to explain two-button operation.

Geoffc

I use it all the time, and I switched my D600 a while back as well. My complaint is that the D600, once set, will not allow you to use both the front and rear buttons to focus and after 2 1/2 months I'm still occasionally missing a shot because my thumb isn't 100% conditioned to performing focus duties. But it does make things so much easier in cold weather conditions when gloves prevent sufficient "feel" for the 1/2 press.

Jake, I have the same issue on the D7100 as you have on the D600. I went out one day and thought it was broken. The D800 is better as it allows both to be active.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

T-Man

I set mine to focus exclusively with the AF-On button, and once I got used to it, I'll never switch back. Want AF-C? Hold the button down and follow the subject. Want AF-S? Just press and release the button. Want to focus and recompose? Use single focus point, focus on the subject, release the button, recompose, and shoot. No need to press any other button to hold focus as you recompose. Since focus locks as soon as you release, you don't have the half shutter press trying to undo your intended focus. I can really see the advantage for fast moving action, as you can just set 51 pt matrix focusing, keep the button depressed the whole time you're following your subject, and shoot without hesitation. Set the camera to shutter priority in the menu so it will still shoot with the button depressed.

Then, in combination with the different AF detection points, you have everything in one single button.

Cee Fish

I'm trying this again with my D7100. I had given up and gone back to the stock configuration.

My issue is I'm left eye dominant (left handed), the first knuckle of my right thumb lands squarely on my nose when using BBF.
I'll spend the next month to see if I can get used to it.