Hello There! from a 'Newbie' in Crystal Palace, S. London - UK

mellymel

Hello!

Well I'm a 'Newbie' here.. but have been really interested in photography for a while.. It started with my first a Cannon G10 (which i loved as it is a great entry - compact with more advanced features) have now got my first DSLR D5100.. i know it might be controversial.. but I also love instagram.. (not for selfless! or food though ;o))

Unfortunately as I know my way around Photoshop & shoot RAW.. it's meant that I've been a little less disciplined in ensuring I've got the settings right on camera.. as I can generally fix it in post production..

I'm really interested in portraiture & have read a lot on Strobist photography.. I'm a little stuck on which speedlite would be a best entry into this world & so am after any advice.. Slight problem is that I think I may have been better off with purchasing the D7000 for this sort of thing - as the D5100 doesn't seem to have an in-built 'Master' function. it's a minefield!! Wireless.. triggers.. so much to consider.. been looking at the Yongnuo-560 III & the SB-700.. I just don't know where to start.. considering that I'm a relative beginner..

Any advice/help or just hellos! are very welcome.. I'm also interested in joining a photography club.. but I just don't seem to be able to find one locally (i'm in south London)..

Well that's me for now..

Melissa

wornish

Hello and welcome to Nikonites.

I am not a portrait expert so can't give any guidance. But I would recommend that you go with the Nikon Speedlites they are all good.
That way as your skills develop or if you do get a camera that can act as a master you can make use of all the Nikon Creative Lighting System features. Some features are not included in many third party flashes.

RON_RIP

Welcome. There are many members of this site who are highly proficient in flash photography. The moderators can lead you to the appropriate threads.

Englischdude

welcome melissa,

i also have been down that road, and after speaking to some local experts decided on a dirt cheap yongnuo, only manual, but really suiots my modest needs perfectly. The big advantage with an all manual flash is that the flash power remains constant and will not change with any slight change in exposure. This way I can pretty much guarantee constant results. Have also purchased the 603 RF yongnuo triggers which also work as a remote actuator. All cheap and cheerful, but I dont earn my cash with photography so have not felt the need to invest more until now.

Regards
Martin