long time in focus

Hi all i'm a nikon d3200 new user when i first got my camera it's easy to take photo (example it will focus itself very fast when i press the button to take photo), i lent my camera to my dad to use and when he gave it back to me i realize that my camera will take a very long time to focus and sometimes i must switch to the auto mode before i can let the camera focus. Can I also check with you guys another stuff? Can i know what is the "Fn" button on the left side of the camera? Sometimes i find that i need to press the button before my Camera is able to focus. Please help :(

wornish

What lens do you have on the camera ?
It might have a switch that sets it to manual focus - check your dad hasn't changed it to manual that has caught me out a few times.

When you do take a picture is it in focus ?

RON_RIP

There are certain things you do not lend out and your primary camera should be right up there with your significant other. At the next appropriate holiday, Christmas or birthday, buy him a nice point and shoot. Just sayin. And be sure to follow of the other advice you got here because it could just be a setting glitch.

Thank you guys! can i check with you guys another stuff? when my lens stat that it's 18-55mm that means how far can my lens zoom? sorry guys i'm really new to this type of camera, i got it for my hobby only. Thank you guys!

wornish

Thank you guys! can i check with you guys another stuff? when my lens stat that it's 18-55mm that means how far can my lens zoom? sorry guys i'm really new to this type of camera, i got it for my hobby only. Thank you guys!

The short answer to your question is yes. The zoom setting varies the angle of view you can see through the viewfinder and the resulting picture. At 18mm the view is slightly wide angle and at 55mm its slightly telephoto. You can attach a different lens with a different focal length the bigger the focal length number the more telephoto the view.

Did you find out what was causing the camera not to focus ?

The short answer to your question is yes. The zoom setting varies the angle of view you can see through the viewfinder and the resulting picture. At 18mm the view is slightly wide angle and at 55mm its slightly telephoto. You can attach a different lens with a different focal length the bigger the focal length number the more telephoto the view.

Did you find out what was causing the camera not to focus ?

Hi there yes, i've solve my problem thank you guys!